Suzuki Forums banner

04 forenza won't start. No codes

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  P01ndexter 
#1 ·
I recently changed an alternator, valve cover, and timing cover on my 04 forenza and now it won't start, just sputters a little and teases me, so I put another fuel pump on it thinking it wasn't getting gas, and it's doing the same thing. The only thing I can think of is that I may have broken a vacuum hose or ripped a wire somewhere while lifting the engine to get the lower bolt in the timing cover. Any ideas as to how and what to check next? Fuel pump was used but sounds strong and looks fairly new compared to the one that came out of it

#2 ·
Several items to check,, is the ECT secure and reading ambient temp, Same for the IAT sensor.

While you are at it confirm the MAF connection.. Did you disturb the ignition system ?

#3 ·
I also changed the coil after it wouldn't start because I was too lazy to test it and it was under warranty. I'm not 100 how to test those sensors but I have a multi meter and a cheap code reader. My neighbor mentioned that as much as we tried jumping it (battery died b4 alt job) it never smelled like gas as if it was flooded thus to him that means it's not getting enough gas. Just putting that out there. I never got it to run after changing that but shouldn't it read a code if it's one of those sensors? I'm ignorant in this area. After looking up their locations, I may have bumped the iat

#5 ·
Basic automotive troubleshooting 101...

Pull a spark plug, reconnect the plug lead and ground it on the cylinder head, now have someone else crank the engine whilst you observe - do you get a good spark?
If you do, refit the plug & the lead and then have someone else crank the engine whilst you spray starting fluid into the intake - does it run on starting fluid?

#6 ·
I don't have a second set of hands right now but earlier I sprayed some gas in the throttle body and it started for 2 seconds sputtered tried again and it popped a puff of smoke out of the throttle body which was my sign to stop. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge but I turned the key to accessory tapped the valve on the fuel rail and gas squirted a foot and instantly lost pressure and stopped squirting. Not my area of expertise but it doesn't seem like 55 psi at all. I'm not really as knowledgeable as I'd like to be I appreciate the help

#7 ·
The fuel pump runs for only 3 sec to pre load the injector rail on key on and only runs after the ECU sees RPM..

Having said that if it starts and runs with external fuel it is a good indicator that the fuel pump is not producing..,

#10 ·
Spray starting fluid down intake, does it try to start?

Low battery certainly affects compression test it should do more than that even slowly rolling over

Fully charged battery disable spark, foot flat to the floor crank for at least 4 compression strokes on the cylinder under test

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.