Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, new to the forum and was hoping to get some info on my 03 Grand vitara. I bought it used a couple years back and the 4x4 seemed to work whenever I needed it. As time went on it started to drop out of 4wd, or it would take 5-10 mins to engage. Now the light comes on and stays on when I push the lever forward but I only have rear wheel drive. Any suggestions or directions on where I should start to look would be greatly appreciated. I'm fairly handy, but that being said, I am no mechanic.

·
Super Moderator
18,375 Posts
Welcome aboard! :)

Sourced from the (top) FAQ thread, THIS thread will provide you with what you need in order to understand and troubleshoot an ailing 4WD system.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Don't know about the USA but my 2003 XL7 workshop manual shows either air or motorised operation. It could well be that the motorised version was not actually fitted until 04 though. Motorised version pic...

·
Super Moderator
18,375 Posts
I'm seeing it as the air pressurized system for USA XL-7 vehicles (minimally), although it may have been a pivotal year of introduction to the electronic version. :) Easy enough to discern upon inspection though.

Market
United States
Grand Vitara XL-7
JA627W (MY 2003)
Transmission
57 - FRONT DIFF HOUSING (4WD) w/Air Pump #19 and associated hoses...

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
If you have the air operated unit, the fact the light stays lite indicates the pump and diaphragm are intact, the lack of function would therefore be of a coupling/mechanical issue.

·
Super Moderator
13,508 Posts
I'd say it's extremely rare on the air operated systems for the 4WD light to be on and the vehicle to not have 4WD - how are you determining that it is "rear wheel drive" only?

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
I'd say it's extremely rare on the air operated systems for the 4WD light to be on and the vehicle to not have 4WD - how are you determining that it is "rear wheel drive" only?
I agree whole heartedly!

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
Hello there, new to the forum and was hoping to get some info on my 03 Grand vitara. I bought it used a couple years back and the 4x4 seemed to work whenever I needed it. As time went on it started to drop out of 4wd, or it would take 5-10 mins to engage. Now the light comes on and stays on when I push the lever forward but I only have rear wheel drive. Any suggestions or directions on where I should start to look would be greatly appreciated. I'm fairly handy, but that being said, I am no mechanic.
Have you checked the condition and level of the diff fluid?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Driving on icy roads a lot, thinking I'm in 4wd and my back-end tries to pass me. I also have a slight hill on my driveway which I usually end up spinning out and not able to make it. I've had 4wd's for 40 years, I'm used to driving them. I appreciate your input, I was going to take a chance and replace the actuator pump but I think I will hold off.

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
Double check the air in tires,,, may have to lower..

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Driving on icy roads a lot, thinking I'm in 4wd and my back-end tries to pass me. I also have a slight hill on my driveway which I usually end up spinning out and not able to make it. I've had 4wd's for 40 years, I'm used to driving them. I appreciate your input, I was going to take a chance and replace the actuator pump but I think I will hold off.
have you actually confirmed the pump operates and hold pressure?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts