Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Grand Vitara V6 manual 4x4
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the ability to buy a low milage 03 grand vitara for next to nothing

It's a 1 owner car. V6 manual transmission.

The issue its having is the transmission isn't engaging. It's actually not doing anything.... The owner is an older man who has babied this car all this time. The shifter itself is very loose and won't engage. The transmission has clean gear oil and did not grind or anything prior to not working

I am having an insane time finding out info on what kind of transmission it is or parts. Or what could possibly be wrong. I have owned Jeeps mostly and anytime I've seen this happen to them it's been bushings in the shifter tower had gone out

As of right now I'm not with the car. I will be again on Sunday and Monday. I'm really hoping it's possible to install new parts and drive it home since I know it worked find as of Thursday

Any help is greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
15,401 Posts
It's most likely the bushings in the shifter tower on this car too ...

25551-60A02 - bush
28117-60A02 - seat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's most likely the bushings in the shifter tower on this car too ...

25551-60A02 - bush
28117-60A02 - seat.

Very interesting. I kind of figured it was something like that. Honestly I'm having a hard time finding info about this vehicle. If there a name for the manual transmission? Or is it simply "suzuki manual transmission"

I'm just trying to familiarize myself with this car, I've heard they're very reliable and look forward to having it

·
Super Moderator
15,401 Posts
I think you need to start by recognizing that the vehicle is Japanese made, rather than US, and uses parts from Japanese suppliers, so, you won't be finding the familiar names, New Venture, Dana and so on, I suspect the transmission is an Aisin product, but never really paid attention, one reason being I don't own the V6 version.

You can find factory service manuals in the link below.
FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions) on Parts...

In terms of reliability, I'd say they're pretty good once they are properly maintained - the V6 engine uses a timing chain with hydraulic adjusters, and also hydraulic lifters, so it's quite "sensitive" to the regular oil changes and the use of the correct grade of oil & filter. Try to hear the engine start "from cold", you don't want to hear more than a second or so of chain rattle, if you do, either walk away, or negotiate the price downwards, replacing those chains is a labor intensive job.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you need to start by recognizing that the vehicle is Japanese made, rather than US, and uses parts from Japanese suppliers, so, you won't be finding the familiar names, New Venture, Dana and so on, I suspect the transmission is an Aisin product, but never really paid attention, one reason being I don't own the V6 version.

You can find factory service manuals in the link below.
FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions) on Parts...

In terms of reliability, I'd say they're pretty good once they are properly maintained - the V6 engine uses a timing chain with hydraulic adjusters, and also hydraulic lifters, so it's quite "sensitive" to the regular oil changes and the use of the correct grade of oil & filter. Try to hear the engine start "from cold", you don't want to hear more than a second or so of chain rattle, if you do, either walk away, or negotiate the price downwards, replacing those chains is a labor intensive job.

No I completely understand and I'm not looking to necessarily try to get a "normal" name brand part like I've been used to.

The engine has no noticeable sound on start up. I have service records going back to 2007 on the vehicle. Appears to be well maintained and last year had all brakes and a transmission serviced. I've seen the car running and driving now for 3 years and the owner can't justify keeping it anymore since he doesn't want to manually shift anymore (he is 78 years old).

He wants $300 and I believe it may just be shifter bushings since the transmission isn't grinding, but the shifter itself is limp

Honestly I was hoping to find atleast the name of the tranny. One of my Jeeps actually uses an Aisin transmission (AW4) but in all the Google results I've looked at it doesn't list a name

·
Super Moderator
15,401 Posts
The AW4 is/was a very popular automatic transmission, and the automatics used in the Grand Vitaras are a very similar unit, also built be Aisin Warner, known as the 03-72LE - as far as I can tell, the manual transmission in the V6 is referred to as a VIT5 which is supposedly very similar to the Aisin AX5 - this should not be confused with the VIT5-A, VIT5-B, VIT5-C or VIT5-D which are used on the four cylinder versions.

I don't know if that will help any, but you can see where it gets you.

For $300 I'd probably be driving out there with a trailer to grab it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The AW4 is/was a very popular automatic transmission, and the automatics used in the Grand Vitaras are a very similar unit, also built be Aisin Warner, known as the 03-72LE - as far as I can tell, the manual transmission in the V6 is referred to as a VIT5 which is supposedly very similar to the Aisin AX5 - this should not be confused with the VIT5-A, VIT5-B, VIT5-C or VIT5-D which are used on the four cylinder versions.

I don't know if that will help any, but you can see where it gets you.

For $300 I'd probably be driving out there with a trailer to grab it.

All the info I've found on this forum has been extremely helpful and I appreciate you taking the time for me. I was 90% sure I was going to take it regardless of the problems it has but at the price I'm just about set on it.

Again thank you, i genuinely had a hard time finding any info just typing in 2003 suzuki grand vitara on google

·
Super Moderator
18,860 Posts
Go to the top FAQ thread and you'll find the Suzuki Transmission Service Manual available for download. Both the Type 1 and Type 2 standard trans units (for 4 and 6 Cylinder engine accompanyment) are in there along w/ the auto trans.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
About a week ago I started a thread asking about a loose shifter....

So since then, I decided to buy this low milage 2003 Grand Vitara for $100. It's ridiculously clean inside and under. Engine runs like a champ

What I thought was a loose shifter seems like it might be more deep than that. I pulled out the center console and pulled the shifter out. The plastic bushings and spring are actually in decent shape. I ordered new ones anyway so they will be installed when they arrive in the mail

My question is what the hell else could it be. I have records that the transmission was serviced last August. Fluid inside is at appropriate level and clean.

If the car is running, clutch pressed, attempt first gear and nothing. No noise no nothing. Even if you don't press the clutch, and try to move the gear select into literally any number or R it makes no grinding or any noise at all

I dont even know where to start. The guy told me he was at highway speeds, going from 3rd to 4th and he lost power with no grinding. I can add any pictures that would be helpful to diagnosis

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm assuming it's a manual transmission. If your lucky you have something wrong with this part

If it were me I'd lower the back of the tranny, remove the four bolt and look in there. Not easy. Time consuming and don't hurt yourself or your distributor. I personally would use a ratchet strap slung frame rail to frame rail and a floor jack to support the rear weight of the transmission and transaxle (don't forget to mark your driveshafts orientation to the flanges) read everthing you can on transmission removal here and elsewhere. Although you hopefully won't be dropping the complete unit.
If you don't know what your doing I'd recommend be careful and again study up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm assuming it's a manual transmission. If your lucky you have something wrong with this part View attachment 101365
If it were me I'd lower the back of the tranny, remove the four bolt and look in there. Not easy. Time consuming and don't hurt yourself or your distributor. I personally would use a ratchet strap slung frame rail to frame rail and a floor jack to support the rear weight of the transmission and transaxle (don't forget to mark your driveshafts orientation to the flanges) read everthing you can on transmission removal here and elsewhere. Although you hopefully won't be dropping the complete unit.
If you don't know what your doing I'd recommend be careful and again study up.

Yes it's a manual. My main question is what's inside the body of the shifter area that needs to be removed? Rods?

I actually have a transmission jack that will make lowering, and keeping it in place very easy. I'm confident I can make the repair once I know what it is

This is my first suzuki ever. I've owned about 7 Jeeps and my knowledge doesn't exactly apply here

If I unbolt that shifter housing... it just pops out? Will anything sensitive fall out that I'd need to be careful about?

Thank you for replying, and any info you can give will help immensely

·
Super Moderator
15,401 Posts
I've merged the two threads together, just to keep things coherent - there's another bush on the "front end of the extension" which is another candidate for loose sloppiness and then various mills pins (roll pins?).

I don't have the same transmission so I've never pulled that shift extension, but as mentioned earlier the manuals are available for download

MediaFire

You're looking for the SQ416/420/625 stuff - your car is the SQ625.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yes it's a manual. My main question is what's inside the body of the shifter area that needs to be removed? Rods?

I actually have a transmission jack that will make lowering, and keeping it in place very easy. I'm confident I can make the repair once I know what it is

This is my first suzuki ever. I've owned about 7 Jeeps and my knowledge doesn't exactly apply here

If I unbolt that shifter housing... it just pops out? Will anything sensitive fall out that I'd need to be careful about?

Thank you for replying, and any info you can give will help immensely
Once you loosen the cover it should pull straight up. You'll need about an inch of clearance for the little square pin which is at the end of rod (welded to I believe ) and sticks down to engage the shift fork linkage below. If any thing falls out (down into the box) at this point it has broken off and that's you problem. Maybe it could dislodge and stay topside.
Study diagrams and other's posts. I have and X-90 but from what I understand other than the case configuration and gear ratios most (if not all) these suzuki gear boxes are basically yhe same.
I find youtube vidios useful to see how parts are arranged in reality. Many, not all, of the youtube posters are either clowns or idiots but video pictures don't lie. And are easier to understand than diagrams or stills for me.

·
Super Moderator
15,401 Posts
Whilst I'm fairly certain that Bob is right in that the extension cover should lift off, and nothing should fall out, I'm equally certain that the mechanism in his extension is very different to the one in yours - his does not have the additional bush that I mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've merged the two threads together, just to keep things coherent - there's another bush on the "front end of the extension" which is another candidate for loose sloppiness and then various mills pins (roll pins?).

I don't have the same transmission so I've never pulled that shift extension, but as mentioned earlier the manuals are available for download

MediaFire

You're looking for the SQ416/420/625 stuff - your car is the SQ625.

I thought about continuing the post but I wasn't sure if that was necessary. All good to me 👍

From what I can see from the top side under the center console, it looks very similar to the one pictured above.

When I made the original post I was kind of going in blind and going off someone else's word of sloppy shifter. In my eyes, the shifter really isn't that loose so I think the issue lies further down the line

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Once you loosen the cover it should pull straight up. You'll need about an inch of clearance for the little square pin which is at the end of rod (welded to I believe ) and sticks down to engage the shift fork linkage below. If any thing falls out (down into the box) at this point it has broken off and that's you problem. Maybe it could dislodge and stay topside.
Study diagrams and other's posts. I have and X-90 but from what I understand other than the case configuration and gear ratios most (if not all) these suzuki gear boxes are basically yhe same.
I find youtube vidios useful to see how parts are arranged in reality. Many, not all, of the youtube posters are either clowns or idiots but video pictures don't lie. And are easier to understand than diagrams or stills for me.

Thats good to know, I just wanted to make sure nothing should fall out. Of course if something is broken then complicates it..

it's funny because I did look up on YouTube, and only found like 1 or 2 vids of someone showing how to rebuild the shift bushings but found nothing about the "box" further down

I will be downloading the manual above and plan to work on this over the weekend and didn't want to go in blind

·
Registered
280 Posts
I found lots searching youtube for sidekick, samurai, or suzuki transmission. Fordem knows a lot more about suzuki workings than I. He's probably right about bushing differences for sure. But your issue to me sounds like something physically broken off rather than wear. I'd guess somewhere in the linkage. You can't get any gears correct? That would be a pretty worn shift linkage shaft or other bearings. The rest of the box might be toast as well. But you said the fluid looks good correct? Did you drain it and look at the magnet.

Aside, don't know if anyone mentioned it to you but the drain and fill plugs are 10mm square not 3/8" Being basically cheap (when possible without compromise) and 20 plus miles from a store I made my own tool by carefully and slowly grinding the shaft of a 1/2 inch cold chisel on the side of a bench grinder wheel. And the chisel still works for what it's intended.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did not initially check the fluid or level, only in my experience even if a manual gearbox is low on oil it could still engage, and since I'm getting not a single thing I went right to the shifter idea

But anyway I did check the fluid but did not check with a magnet as it didn't have the appearance (like I've seen in the past anyway)

I ran outside to confirm and did find and expanded view of my shift lever so I can tell there's more parts inside than I first thought. Definitely does not seem like something that can be unbolted and removed from the top

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I found lots searching youtube for sidekick, samurai, or suzuki transmission. Fordem knows a lot more about suzuki workings than I. He's probably right about bushing differences for sure. But your issue to me sounds like something physically broken off rather than wear. I'd guess somewhere in the linkage. You can't get any gears correct? That would be a pretty worn shift linkage shaft or other bearings. The rest of the box might be toast as well. But you said the fluid looks good correct? Did you drain it and look at the magnet.

Aside, don't know if anyone mentioned it to you but the drain and fill plugs are 10mm square not 3/8" Being basically cheap (when possible without compromise) and 20 plus miles from a store I made my own tool by carefully and slowly grinding the shaft of a 1/2 inch cold chisel on the side of a bench grinder wheel. And the chisel still works for what it's intended.

Sorry, and yes to answer the other questions. I can't get into any gear at all, I can't get it to move a millimeter or come close to engaging (or make any sound what so ever at this point good or bad). This came from the original owner who's been taking care of it and only taking it to the dealership he bought it from since 2004 so I have confidence he didn't grind anything to oblivion

·
Registered
280 Posts
Way different than my actual workings inside. That number 5 pin on the diagram looks like a likely suspect to me. Fordem knows these cars well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts