Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

As the title says, my 02 XL7 Loud hiss and only shifts at high RPM. You really have to rap it out to get it to shift to the next gear. I sounds like when I used to drive my 69 Camaro with the air filter off. The automatic now shifts to the next gear but only after the engine is really rapped out. It's also sluggish. All leads me to believe there is a vacuum line leaking that goes to the transmission. I put it up on ramps and got under it. I can't find a vacuum line going to the tranny. The 1/4" dia. line that goes to the front axle to engage the 4x4 looks okay. I've pulled the cover off the top of the engine, all the hoses going to the intake appear to be okay. No cracks that I can see. I squirted carb cleaner on all the intake spots that could leak with out any change in the way the engine ran. It idles fine, starts fine, revs up fine, but put under a load and it's become a dog.

Any suggestions for finding a vacuum leak? or Any idea of what to try, or experienced suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I don't find the problem soon I'm going to try and trade it off at the nearest dealer with a RAV4.

It does have a few other problems, the AC compressor just quit again, the clutch has quit working and there is enough voltage at the wire that goes to it to light up a head light bulb. The EGR valve isn't working and one of the down stream O2 sensors is bad. The exhaust has a slight leak which might explain the loud roar it has developed. It doesn't sound like your typical exhaust leak, but it does sound like the engine is ROARING really loud.

Could the EGR valve be stuck open and that's what's causing the sucking air sound and loss of power. I'm grasping at straws.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions,
Don

·
Super Moderator
17,522 Posts
It sounds like a clogged Catalytic Convertor creating a gap / leak due to back-pressure at the spring loaded donut gasket connection, by the Cat inlet.

Check the Cat for excessive back pressure, which indicates failed ceramic internals. One test consists of adapting a pressure gauge inserted at a removed O2 sensor port and running the engine.

Other test options:
https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/How-to-Test-a-Bad-Catalytic-Converter

·
Super Moderator
17,522 Posts

·
Registered
8,282 Posts
I agree with MAX, sounds like a plugged CAT, I am sure MAX has a quick diagnostics for you to follow...;)

... Philip

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I just wanted to follow up and let you know that I got the Cat replaced for $213.00 and that cured all the problems with the shifting and the noises.

Thanks!
Don
Hey don, is there anyway I can contact you? I think I have a similar problem but I’m not 100 percent sure!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts