Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great site! I'm new here. Hoping you guys can help me.

I've been searching & reading through a handful of other threads on the site on this topic but I'm not sure any of them are specific to the 99-05 XL-7 with DRL so I thought I'd post up! :D

My DRL/Low beams won't turn on, but my high beams and all other lights work.

From what others have said it sounds like it's the "combination switch" in the steering wheel column that is causing the issue.

1. Does anyone know the part number for this? I can't seem to find it on sites like suzukicarparts.com. Also, what category should I be looking under to locate this part on the parts fiche?

2. What troubleshooting can I do to determine if it is the combination switch? I've seen some say that certain years are 'switched' by grounding and others aren't. So if you could clarify at exactly which wire(s) to test & when I should see 12v and when I should see 0v that would really help!

3. This may end up being the most helpful part, if it is the combination switch, could someone advise me on how to hardware the DRL/Low Beams so I don't have to replace the combination switch yet. I've read a few posts on this & it seems it could be different per Suzuki model and year and if you have DRLs or not.
I'm capable of doing this work. I just need to know what to do to which specific wires.

Thank you guys so much!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure they are fine.
It's one of the troubleshooting steps I plan to do but I wasn't sure how to test that (which wires and when they should show 12v or 0v) without buying new bulbs.

I'm of the mindset to eliminate causes before buying new parts and installing them. I don't want to buy things and spend the time replacing them if they are fine.

Thanks for posting up an idea though. You never know when it could be a simple thing you overlooked.

Are you sure the bulbs are fine? Maybe both low beam filaments are blown?

·
Administrator
19,092 Posts
If you have to ask how to check the bulbs, the easiest way will be to remove them (or disconnect them) and do a continuity test - you should see continuity between all three terminals.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got it working, though I didn't figure out exactly what all the issues were.

I wasn't sure what voltage I should be getting at exactly which wires for Low vs. High OR when a wire should switch from having voltage to being a ground. But I decided to check this anyways.

I looked at the bulb on the passenger side, looked fine, started testing voltage & ground at the bulb connector. One of them would go to .4 v when I switched to high beam.
I wasn't sure if that wire went to high or low or if it should be going to .4 v. That was part of what I was hoping to find out here.

I decided to put that side back together and check the driver side.

The bulb was clearly blown. I decided to check voltage on this side as well. This side wouldn't go to .4 v when I switched to high and suddenly the passenger side low beam came ON when I switched back down to lows!!

I went back to the passenger side & tested voltage again. This time I wouldn't get the .4 v reading when going to high beam! The connection that would go to .4 v was now becoming a ground. Which is what the driver side was doing too.

I bought 2 new bulbs, put it back together and it's all working normally.

In the end I'm not exactly sure what was going on with the voltage/grounds and I didn't do anything to 'fix' them except for touching the wires, wiggling them, & disconnecting & reconnecting the bulbs and the connections at the bulbs.
That alone seemed to get the voltage/ground back to normal. For how long though. :)

The driver side going out was obvious cause the bulb was bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.