Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have an 01 Ignis which has developed a strange fault.

Fault Conditions:
Starting from a stop
Slight incline climb

Fault Error Codes or DTCs:
None

Fault Possible Fluids that may point to problem:
Fresh Engine Oil (less than 500KM)
Fresh Coolant (less than 1k)
Transmission Oil (looks brand new, still red, and full)

Fault Description:
-Stopped at a stop sign, I try to pull out, and I depress throttle, car accelerates to 20KM, RPM shows steady at 2500 and car is still accelerating but very slowly and im full on the pedal (welded to the floor pretty much), then in about 1 minute car is reacting normally again, full throttle available.

-Slight hill climb, car accelerates but again same holds either a steady speed or accelerates very slowly, full throttle applied. As soon as we pass the hill, we are good.

-I randomly get stuck in 3rd gear and the transmission wont shift. Example speed and RPM (50KM at 2800RPM)

-I have had a random jerk sometimes where the engine is stuck in 3rd hen suddenly a jerk and im in highest gear

Possible Things I have tried to see or come up with.
-Manual control over gear selection
(Start off in L, then in 2nd, then drop into D). No change

Possible Faults:
TPS is problematic
Fuse Blown somewhere
Transmission is on its last legs

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
From how I have treated my Ingnis Auto - no service since new 2000, they are reliable. Being electronic, as you say TPS or even Speed Sensor could be at fault. Also possible solenoid/s in transmission faulty.

If you only recently had some work done or did it yourself, this could be partial reason.

Not sure if there is a filter in transmission or strainer in cooling line (either may be blocked) - do you know service history - how long have you owned it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From how I have treated my Ingnis Auto - no service since new 2000, they are reliable. Being electronic, as you say TPS or even Speed Sensor could be at fault. Also possible solenoid/s in transmission faulty.

If you only recently had some work done or did it yourself, this could be partial reason.

Not sure if there is a filter in transmission or strainer in cooling line (either may be blocked) - do you know service history - how long have you owned it?
Thanks 2000IGNIS for your input. I want some more datapoints to see whats going with the tranny record.

A couple developments:
Its been shifting okay again. However as point of reference which will allow me to gouge what gear im in vs what i should be experiencing.
at 60-70 KMPH im my tach reads 2800RPM (which in my experience is very high for high gear on a 4 speed).

The OD switch is also quite flaky. OD Off, which is suppose to illuminate when the OD switch is clicked. However mine doesnt. its sporadic.

The ATF is still red, no burning or loss of fluid yet.

Ownership history:
I do not know in detail, as im the 5th owner i believe

Future Plans:
So im trying to eliminate the probs one by one to see where the fault is.

So as this car is highly electronic (EPS, no actual throttle linkage), i was thinking of going to the basics. I want to go ahead and run the car without the MAF sensor, to see if its causing the bogging down. Usually if the MAF sensor is dirty, the bogging effect happens. Only probs is, are there any consequences running this car without one for a short test run?

Bogging down in my knowledge can happen with the following:
Fuel Delivery problem (fuel filter clogged, injectors are clogged with carbon deposits)

Sensor Problem:
MAF sensor is dirty, or the fuel and air mixture is incorrect.

Any ideas. The transmission is going on the back burner for the time being.

New developments besides transmission:
Left Rear Door has decided to that its exterior handle will not work
Right Rear Door has decided that both inerior and exterior handles do not work. Door is permanently locked for now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks 2000IGNIS for your input. I want some more datapoints to see whats going with the tranny record.

A couple developments:
Its been shifting okay again. However as point of reference which will allow me to gouge what gear im in vs what i should be experiencing.
at 60-70 KMPH im my tach reads 2800RPM (which in my experience is very high for high gear on a 4 speed).

The OD switch is also quite flaky. OD Off, which is suppose to illuminate when the OD switch is clicked. However mine doesnt. its sporadic.

The ATF is still red, no burning or loss of fluid yet.

Ownership history:
I do not know in detail, as im the 5th owner i believe

Future Plans:
So im trying to eliminate the probs one by one to see where the fault is.

So as this car is highly electronic (EPS, no actual throttle linkage), i was thinking of going to the basics. I want to go ahead and run the car without the MAF sensor, to see if its causing the bogging down. Usually if the MAF sensor is dirty, the bogging effect happens. Only probs is, are there any consequences running this car without one for a short test run?

Bogging down in my knowledge can happen with the following:
Fuel Delivery problem (fuel filter clogged, injectors are clogged with carbon deposits)

Sensor Problem:
MAF sensor is dirty, or the fuel and air mixture is incorrect.

Any ideas. The transmission is going on the back burner for the time being.

New developments besides transmission:
Left Rear Door has decided to that its exterior handle will not work
Right Rear Door has decided that both inerior and exterior handles do not work. Door is permanently locked for now.
changeoil filter and oil in trans will make a difference

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

Well after going to my local mechanic, he's stumped as well. The symptoms are of course with the transmission, but still doesn't know if it's TCU related or mechanical.

For sure the only thing he's gotten down pat, is that the shifter wire, is a bit too tight. Thus I can not engage L position on the gearbox. Besides that, still up in the air.

Anyone know for any way to adjust the shift cable, and any other info.

Oil and filter have been replaced to no change

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.