Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey gang, long time no post. The fog lights in our '01 XL7 aren't working. I obviously tried replacing the bulbs and I verified the fuses aren't blown. I'm struggling to find information on testing the switch. I got it out but not sure how to test. Can anybody provide some guidance on testing it. Thg green indicator light on the fog light switch doesn't come on when I push it in but if memory serves, that indicator light has stayed off in the past when both bulbs were burned out - though I'm not 100% sure on that point.

As additional info I learned the hard way that the '01 XL-7, being the first year for it, had two types of fog lights, those installed at the factory and those installed at the ports. Mine is the latter, taking an H1 bulb vs. the former taking an H3 bulb. Thanks all.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Darrell. Now I just need to figure out where that fog light relay is. All the manuals I downloaded have diagrams for rear fog lights but not front, even though it references the front. In the owners manual I see the 15A fuse in the passenger compartment but no mention of the relays. Guess I'm going to have to some more searching next time my daughter's home from school.

I think I'm pretty much hosed if the switch is bad as it's a discontinued part. Salvage yard looks to be my only option if it's the switch, and there aren't that many with fog lights.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
The pre 2003 workshop manuals don't show anything for the switch or relay, even the wiring manual is vague. I have checked the wiring manual and E216 is the connector for the relay which is on the right on a LHD. Hopefully the rear one of those 3 on the right. Not sure if you can see the wire colours. Best of luck..

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Darrell. :thumbsup: I'll take a look next time my daughter is home from school.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My daughter came home today for a few hours so I used the opportunity to some investigating. I'm 99% confident the relay is actually part of the switch itself. I traced the negative wires to the front of the truck near the right side of the radiator. I traced the positive wire all the way to the bundle of wires that enter the passenger compartment and it didn't pass through a relay in the engine compartment. I'm not exactly sure how to go about testing at this point, but I think my issue is one of the following:

1. A diode between the bright lights and fog lights is blown. Not exactly sure where this diode would be but assume in the steering wheel stalk somewhere.
  2. A diode for the headlights (indicating lights are on) is blown. Same issue with locating
  3. Wire is frayed or broken somewhere along the line
  4. The switch (or relays within it) itself is bad
Unfortunately, this is now maxing out my skills. I'm not quite sure how to go about testing each of those items. I'm guessing the diode I mention is actually part of the relay in the switch.

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
relays are usually not part of the switch, but are either under the hood or on the relay panel along with turn signal relay etc

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
relays are usually not part of the switch, but are either under the hood or on the relay panel along with turn signal relay etc
Thanks. Where is the turn signal relay located? I traced the wires all the way to the firewall where they enter the passenger compartment and it didn't pass through a relay. Like I mentioned in the first post, the '01 XL7 had two types of fog lights - those installed at the factory and those installed once they land in the US. I learned the hard way when I needed to replace one that I have the latter so I don't know if that comes into play at all.

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Thanks. Where is the turn signal relay located? I traced the wires all the way to the firewall where they enter the passenger compartment and it didn't pass through a relay. Like I mentioned in the first post, the '01 XL7 had two types of fog lights - those installed at the factory and those installed once they land in the US. I learned the hard way when I needed to replace one that I have the latter so I don't know if that comes into play at all.
Relays are usually alongside the fuse panel, in this case I think its located drivers side outside of car just up under the footwell.

Been a while since i've worked on one of these older ones but take a look near the fuse panel inside the cabin, should be a relay there if its factory fitted. just bear in mind many of the fog lights won't come on unless the clearance lamps are on as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. She's back at school now. I'll take a look next time she comes home. Guess I'll trace the harness from the switch until I find it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts