Airbag light cover up - Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site
Suzuki Forum Suzuki Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > Other Suzuki Models > Suzuki SX4 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance Advertise

Suzuki-Forums.com is the premier Suzuki All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 23
Gallery: 0
stephenwisham is on a distinguished road
Default Airbag light cover up

Is it actionable if my local Suzuki dealership placed black tape to cover up my illuminated airbag light? I took my 08 sx4 to my local Suzuki dealership for a couple of recalls. One was for an airbag recall. The front passenger seat cushion needed to be replaced because the sensor inside would go bad and not recognize someone was in the seat. I remember the notice I received from Suzuki in the mail about the recall saying that if my airbag light was illuminated then to make an appointment to have the car checked for the recall. When I picked the car up, everything was fine, that I knew of. The front passenger seat had a new cushion and the airbag light was off. Fast forward like about a year later and I'm taking apart my instrument cluster to finally find out why my cel hasn't been working. When I remove the overlay to be able to see the led bulbs and find that the cel bulb had been removed. Must have been from the previous owner or dealership I bought the car from. What I found very strange was one of the slots had pieces of black tape folded up and put inside the slot, obviously to block whatever light it was. When I took out the take and put it all back together, guess what light it was...the airbag light. So obviously the Suzuki dealership put them in there when they had the car working in the recalls. What should be the first step I should take? From what I read, if the airbag like get is on, the airbags may not function properly if I'm in an accident.
stephenwisham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-25-2016, 05:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Georgetown, Guyana
Posts: 12,003
Gallery: 0
fordem will become famous soon enough
Default

First question - what law has been broken?
Second question - by whom has the law been broken?

I note that in the case of the CEL you say "the previous owner or dealership", but in the case of the airbag light, you say the dealership - can you prove "beyond reasonable doubt" that the dealership placed that tape there?

Is it enough in your neck of the woods for you to say the dealership are the only people who worked on the vehicle - what if the dealership (or their lawyer) suggests that you placed it there when you took the dash apart to sort out the CEL?
__________________
98 - 1.8 Mitsubishi Pajero iO
98 - 2.0 Suzuki Grand Vitara - SQ420
05 - 2.0 Suzuki Grand Vitara - JB420
15 - 2.4 Kia Sportage
fordem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2016, 06:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
LMP
Veteran
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicoutimi, Saguenay,Qc,Canada
Posts: 803
Gallery: 1
LMP is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenwisham View Post
,,,,I took my 08 sx4 to my local Suzuki dealership for a couple of recalls. One was for an airbag recall. The front passenger seat cushion needed to be replaced because the sensor inside would go bad and not recognize someone was in the seat......
According to the recall, the replacement of the seat sensor is conditional to the airbag light indication..(ACTUAL TEXT OF THE RECALL BELOW)

...if this conditiOn occurs, the AIRBAG light and the FRONT PASSSENGER seat belt reminder will come ON.
ALso the PASS AIR BAG OFF light will remaIN OFF


..so I'm not sure if there was any indication in what you describe, as I'm borne to understand the tape was there before . You do not say either if the seat sensor was actually changed or not....if the light was not visible, they were not obliged to change the sensor....and if they changed the sensor, there was no reason for them to hide the lamp...soooo.....unclear to find the culprit!

And....lets get things accurate...contrary to a reply you had ( the airbag might not even deploy...) in the other forum where you posted the same case, the reason for that recall is that the airbag would actually deploy even if a baby is in the front seat....
www.avigex.ca/sx4/sensorrecall.jpg
__________________
2011 sx4 JX 2.0 AWD CVT at 35500km(may2019)- 1928 Model 629 Graham-Paige - 1993 Pontiac Transport 3.8 - 2015 Kia Sorrento 2.4 AWD - 1994 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Last edited by LMP; 02-25-2016 at 07:20 AM.
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 11
Gallery: 0
sx4mouse is on a distinguished road
Default

It's quite clearly criminal (and dangerous). But proving they did it might be difficult.
sx4mouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2016, 01:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Expert
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 387
Gallery: 0
PaulD is on a distinguished road
Default

OP got a new seat cushion so light must have been showing when the dealer first saw it for that to happen. We have 6 or 12 monthly mechanical inspections. Airbag or ABS system lights permanently on are fails. Tape doesn't "fix" it as the light then doesn't show during the start up.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 23
Gallery: 0
stephenwisham is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordem View Post
First question - what law has been broken?
Second question - by whom has the law been broken?

I note that in the case of the CEL you say "the previous owner or dealership", but in the case of the airbag light, you say the dealership - can you prove "beyond reasonable doubt" that the dealership placed that tape there?

Is it enough in your neck of the woods for you to say the dealership are the only people who worked on the vehicle - what if the dealership (or their lawyer) suggests that you placed it there when you took the dash apart to sort out the CEL?

I would assume the law broken would be consumer fraud or reckless endangerment. The airbag light was on when I took it up to the Suzuki dealership so it wasn't covered up by the previous owner or dealership that I bought it from. The recall notice that I got in the mail specifically said if my airbag light was on, to call and make an appointment to have the recall taken care of. Also, I have the small folded pieces of tape that can be tested for finger prints and compared to the technician that worked on the car. With this Suzuki dealership being the only one for hundreds of miles, I would assume I'm not the only one that this was done to. I'm sure many people witj the years and models used that same dealership for their recalls. If it were something as simple as a cel cover up, I wouldn't really care because that's just emissions. We're talking about a safety issue. If the airbags don't deploy correctly when involved in an accident, someone could be killed.
stephenwisham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2016, 01:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 23
Gallery: 0
stephenwisham is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenwisham View Post
,,,,I took my 08 sx4 to my local Suzuki dealership for a couple of recalls. One was for an airbag recall. The front passenger seat cushion needed to be replaced because the sensor inside would go bad and not recognize someone was in the seat......
According to the recall, the replacement of the seat sensor is conditional to the airbag light indication..(ACTUAL TEXT OF THE RECALL BELOW)

...if this conditiOn occurs, the AIRBAG light and the FRONT PASSSENGER seat belt reminder will come ON.
ALso the PASS AIR BAG OFF light will remaIN OFF


..so I'm not sure if there was any indication in what you describe, as I'm borne to understand the tape was there before . You do not say either if the seat sensor was actually changed or not....if the light was not visible, they were not obliged to change the sensor....and if they changed the sensor, there was no reason for them to hide the lamp...soooo.....unclear to find the culprit!

And....lets get things accurate...contrary to a reply you had ( the airbag might not even deploy...) in the other forum where you posted the same case, the reason for that recall is that the airbag would actually deploy even if a baby is in the front seat....
www.avigex.ca/sx4/sensorrecall.jpg

Yes. The airbag light and passenger air bag light were both on. The entire cushion on the passenger seat was replaced since the sensor is inside the cushion. When I picked up the car, the air bag light was off, at least I thought. I don't know what would cause the air bag light to stay lit after the cushion was replaced, and maybe that was an issue with the mechanic as well, and decided to just cover it up and hope no one ever found out. From what I read, if the air bag light is on, there is a problem with the system. And if there is a problem with the system, the system may not function correctly in an accident.
stephenwisham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Expert
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 387
Gallery: 0
PaulD is on a distinguished road
Default

Don't you have 2 lights in the US, 1 for passenger present and 1 for airbag system overall? Which was taped?
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2016, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 23
Gallery: 0
stephenwisham is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Don't you have 2 lights in the US, 1 for passenger present and 1 for airbag system overall? Which was taped?
There are two lights. One above the radio that is the passenger air bag light. It comes on and off depending on the weight on the passenger seat. The other is on the instrument cluster. I would assume it's the main air bag light. Two pieces of black tape were folded up and stuffed down inside the slot where the led light is attached to the circuit board blocking the light from showing up on the cluster.
stephenwisham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > Other Suzuki Models > Suzuki SX4 Forum

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.