Transfer case options w/Toyota axles. - Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site
Suzuki Forum Suzuki Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > Suzuki Jimny, Sierra & Samurai Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance Advertise

Suzuki-Forums.com is the premier Suzuki All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 01:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Expert
 
caseyjones955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Black Hills of South Dakota
Posts: 683
Gallery: 0
caseyjones955 is on a distinguished road
Default Transfer case options w/Toyota axles.

88 Samurai
Toyota axles and ~ 6" lift.

I have been considering the drive line issues and gotten some sound advice on how to handle the compound angle.

I would like to consider another route as well, an add-on gear box or maybe a Toyota transfer case (heard of an adaptor to divorce it). Anything to center up the rear output and remove the compound angle, also the 1:1 Hi range would be a plus as the gears are 410.

Anyone here use a Toyota tcase or other divorced case, something similar in size and wt. Vehicle will remain under 150hp so don't need anything to crazy. Small and light is a plus.

Thanks.
Tony
caseyjones955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Expert
 
caseyjones955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Black Hills of South Dakota
Posts: 683
Gallery: 0
caseyjones955 is on a distinguished road
Default

Found a local Toyota T-case, also located a vendor with a somewhat reasonably priced adapter to make it a divorced case.

Am I really the first person here to do this? Anyone throw me a bone before I go and reinvent the wheel? I've got my credit card in one hand and a wire feed in the other...

Would love to hear from anyone that has been down this road.

Thanks.
Tony
caseyjones955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: portland or
Posts: 27
Gallery: 0
jameseuro is on a distinguished road
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones955 View Post
88 Samurai
Toyota axles and ~ 6" lift.

I have been considering the drive line issues and gotten some sound advice on how to handle the compound angle.

I would like to consider another route as well, an add-on gear box or maybe a Toyota transfer case (heard of an adaptor to divorce it). Anything to center up the rear output and remove the compound angle, also the 1:1 Hi range would be a plus as the gears are 410.

Anyone here use a Toyota tcase or other divorced case, something similar in size and wt. Vehicle will remain under 150hp so don't need anything to crazy. Small and light is a plus.

Thanks.
Tony
i have toy axles with a samurai transfer-case, have done some crazy wheeling with no transfer-case issues, your going to need to extend your axles as my samurai has so just use toy lower ends with suzuki uppers.
jameseuro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Expert
 
caseyjones955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Black Hills of South Dakota
Posts: 683
Gallery: 0
caseyjones955 is on a distinguished road
Default

Today is the first time I have driven it with both drive shafts installed. It is infinitely more capable than my F250 4x4. I cant believe how well it did here on the property without even locking in any diffs.

I was just imagining how truly wikid this thing is gonna be with some proper gearing. That is all good, If I were to stay with a sami Tcase I would probably elect to go with 6.5:1 gears but I would loose valuable over the road ratios.

These are considerations that will factor in.

Pros to Toyota T case:
slightly beefier
No more compound angle, easier to work vibrations out.
Easy add 2nd case in the future
can be obtained cheaply enough
1:1 H range even with crawler gears.

Pros to Samurai T case:
Its already there.

Any other pros to the Sami T case over the Yota?

I really need this truck to be as vibration free as possible at highway speeds, even in 4H. I have a really long ways to go to work in some adverse conditions.

I have pretty much decided to go with the yota case but of course I'm ready to change my plan with the introduction of any new data.

Oh, just got a 93 4runner non-cv drive shaft from Ebay.

Open to input.

Tony
caseyjones955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: portland or
Posts: 27
Gallery: 0
jameseuro is on a distinguished road
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones955 View Post
Today is the first time I have driven it with both drive shafts installed. It is infinitely more capable than my F250 4x4. I cant believe how well it did here on the property without even locking in any diffs.

I was just imagining how truly wikid this thing is gonna be with some proper gearing. That is all good, If I were to stay with a sami Tcase I would probably elect to go with 6.5:1 gears but I would loose valuable over the road ratios.

These are considerations that will factor in.

Pros to Toyota T case:
slightly beefier
No more compound angle, easier to work vibrations out.
Easy add 2nd case in the future
can be obtained cheaply enough
1:1 H range even with crawler gears.

Pros to Samurai T case:
Its already there.

Any other pros to the Sami T case over the Yota?

I really need this truck to be as vibration free as possible at highway speeds, even in 4H. I have a really long ways to go to work in some adverse conditions.

I have pretty much decided to go with the yota case but of course I'm ready to change my plan with the introduction of any new data.

Oh, just got a 93 4runner non-cv drive shaft from Ebay.

Open to input.

Tony
my transfer case is regeared, unsure what the ratio but in 4wd low first gear learches forward at idle with a top speed of 10-15 mph in 5th with the samurai transfer case. when i hit the road i just pop it into 4wd high and have no problems cruising along to the next trail at normal gearing. i have also heard of stronger case/housings available for the sam trans, but mine is completely stock, and do serious rock crawling with no troubles.
jameseuro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 01:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Expert
 
caseyjones955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Black Hills of South Dakota
Posts: 683
Gallery: 0
caseyjones955 is on a distinguished road
Default

I have been doing a great deal of research and it seems that the divorced toy Tcase kit is less than stellar in quality.

The kicker setups are more than I am able and/or willing to spend at this point.

The Toyota trans/ Tcase is a good option but still fairly expensive after buying the trans, bell housing and other misc parts, and fabbing up mounts.

At this point I'm leaning heavily towards keeping the Sammi trans and Tcase with some 6.5:1 gears and leave well enough alone.

My main objective for swapping was to get rid of the compound drive shaft angle. I will do as many say will work and set the pinions parallel, install a non-cv (shortened and balanced) rear 4runner drive shaft and see if I get smooth hiway operation. If so then Im all done!

If not then the simplest way appears to be to find the most cost effective hybrid/offset rear end housing out there.

Still open to input and will post the results.

T
caseyjones955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: portland or
Posts: 27
Gallery: 0
jameseuro is on a distinguished road
Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones955 View Post
I have been doing a great deal of research and it seems that the divorced toy Tcase kit is less than stellar in quality.

The kicker setups are more than I am able and/or willing to spend at this point.

The Toyota trans/ Tcase is a good option but still fairly expensive after buying the trans, bell housing and other misc parts, and fabbing up mounts.

At this point I'm leaning heavily towards keeping the Sammi trans and Tcase with some 6.5:1 gears and leave well enough alone.

My main objective for swapping was to get rid of the compound drive shaft angle. I will do as many say will work and set the pinions parallel, install a non-cv (shortened and balanced) rear 4runner drive shaft and see if I get smooth hiway operation. If so then Im all done!

If not then the simplest way appears to be to find the most cost effective hybrid/offset rear end housing out there.

Still open to input and will post the results.

T
yeah, my toy axles have the difs aligned to the right side of the vehicle with the stock transfer. i love mine daily drive it city freeway and rock crawl. your going to love it. i do 75 no problem with the stock 1.3 and can go anywhere i decide to point my samurai off road.
jameseuro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2011, 12:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Expert
 
caseyjones955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Black Hills of South Dakota
Posts: 683
Gallery: 0
caseyjones955 is on a distinguished road
Default

I found that Trail Tough has an affordable axle housing (narrowed IFS w/shortened axle) that moves the pumpkin over 3" and uses later brakes. That should bring the compound angle down enough to get decent high speed operation.... I Hope. So I ordered one.

Just ordered
Mighty Kong Tcase mount/skid plate.
4 HD YJ springs from Jeep Stealership, poly bushings from Trail Tough
Front JPeater kit so I can use the YJ springs on the front as well.
3" offset toyota diff housing/axle
90 4runner rear drive shaft shortened and balanced.

16V Engine and trans appear to be in excellent working order and it goes down the road shockingly well for having so many unserviceable bits underneath. I expect this will get me to a point of being highway worthy.

THANKS for all the wisdom of these forums.

Tony
caseyjones955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
twistedcherokee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Falcon, Co
Posts: 67
Gallery: 0
twistedcherokee is on a distinguished road
Default

Are you going old school running parallels or are you rotating the pinion up to the t case? Pics would help I ran my stock sammy t case for several years with D30/D44 CJ axles for years before I upgraded to the V6. Had very little to no vibration. After tagging some rocks it had the very little vibration. I went old school & ran parallels on that.

Toby
__________________
2012 SX4 Crossover, 1999 Harley UC, 2001 Durango, 1996 Geo Tracker
twistedcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Expert
 
caseyjones955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Black Hills of South Dakota
Posts: 683
Gallery: 0
caseyjones955 is on a distinguished road
Default

I do plan on running parallel pinion angles, I expect the 3" offset to give me some vast improvements but I do not expect that it will completely remove the compound angle with this axle.

I think old school might be best for this, but if it fails to work after some tweaking than I may have to try the CV style shaft again. The place I ordered the axle from indicates that parallel usually works best for the setup I will be using. I will try it first and see.

The roads here are wide open and my work commute is long so I see extended periods at 75mph.

Even with the 1.6 16v I doubt this thing will pull to 85 very happily. I'll be very pleased to hit the speed limit without all the drive line drama.
caseyjones955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > Suzuki Jimny, Sierra & Samurai Forum

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.