Looked for 5 years before I found a SAMI with what I wanted to start with and the price I was willing to pay. Bought it last April. Came with spring-over lift and 32" tires. Bikini top with homemade Topbow and 2 swivel boat seats in back. The wiring was a mess. The engine had a massive oil leak on the rear main and a bad left rear axle bearing. $1500.00 It had potential. What I started with.
Started small by replacing brakes all around and rear bearing. The wiring was another story. It had been worked on before. If you have worked on wiring before....you know what I mean. Wife went to Europe last summer so I had 2 weeks free to work. Backed it into the garage and removed the engine.
Took the block to the machine shop and found out it had a crack. Not a lot of these blocks in my ares so I found one in Denver, CO. Got the engine back and bolted it all back together. While the engine was gone I cleaned and painted all under the hood. Removed the jack mount and moved the battery tray forward for a bigger battery.Took everything off of the firewall and painted it all gloss black.
Installed the engine and cleaned all the excess wiring up under the hood.
Got the mechanical part finished and then started getting ready for paint. Took sheet metal off of an old hood I had and repaired the back crinkle corners (both)
Started painting last week and this is what I stopped with.
Took some of the sheet metal and made myself a cover for the cowl vent to keep the leaves and crud out. Magnetic tape, screen wire....glued it all together and it bends and molds right to the cover.
It has been fun and I owe a lot of thanks to this forum for the help, advice and information that is free for the asking.