Originally Posted by TrojanMan06
As the title says im a samurai noob. Im actually a jeep guy when it comes to offroading but my little brother got a samurai for a first rig so im here to learn a few things cuz just like my jeeps, stock wont due. I know the search is my friend and I need to use it(im a JU member) so I will but any basic knowledge about the thing you could share would be appreciated. Was thinking we could start but doing a spring over axle lift to begin with and slightly larger tires too keep cost down. Its an 88 4 banger 5 speed, locking front hubs and thats all I can remember right now.
Thats good your taking the interest to learn more about these great lil off roaders.
well just some of the basics:
- factory carb= trash , ZOR & Petroworks both make some really nice side draft carb kits that REALLY WAKE UP these lil 1.3 engines.
- Doug Thorley Header is the next best bolt on part after the s.d. carb. also a good idea to make, or buy a 2" exhaust at the same time if the budget allows.
- make sure the clutch cable is properly adjusted, and maintained.
- the 5 spd shifter bolt, and bushing are notorious for breaking causing slopp in the shifter. quick, cheap, and easy fix here.
- t-case shifter bushing , this one is very important to have because if yours is worn out, you will have a hard time getting in 4wd, sometimes wont go in, or will fall out, and you might find yourself in the middle of the desert in 110 degree heat with the t case shifter off and a huge flat blade screw driver in the t-case putting it back in 4wd like i did a few years back.
- motor/ tranny / t-case mounts its very likely all or at least a few of those need replacing, my first samurai had every single mount broken, and surprisingly enough the powertrain didnt twist as bad as I would imagine, so I didnt realize it was all broken untill my friend drove, and said its clucking everytime i let of the gas, this aint right, so then we tore it apart and realized all mounts where broke, and replaced all. It hard to tell the mounts are broke till you have them off the jeep.
summed up, these are badass lil off roaders that will run circles around your jeep in the mud with the right mods. all the things I have mentioned above are things to expect from a 25 year old vehicle, and its all little stuff. so get to fixxing and have fun off roading your bros new samurai!