02-18-2010, 06:03 AM
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boganville, Kweenzlairnd, Ustrailya
Cleaning the fuel system - any tips?
My car needs a flush out of the fuel system - tank, filter, lines, pump, carby (prob gonna ditch for a CV kit before too long)... I want to leave no stone unturned.
After running my tank to the last drops recently, my car has drawn a bit of muck into the lines and my Sierra's idle has suffered to no end. Silly me.
Just to clarify:
- Carby was rebuilt in November (got receipts) and running like a charm until emptying my tank.
- no vacuum leaks in the system - this has been double and triple checked. All the lines to and from the carb are in A1 condition, so too the clamps/fixings.
- all was fine until I ran the tank too empty.
My plans are:
- take out the tank and get it cleaned at a radiator refurbisher. Too many chemicals involved for a DIY job - best get someone else to do it.
- disconnect fuel filter, pump and carby, and give each line a fierce blow with an air compressor.
- reconnect everything, replace filter, run some carby cleaner for a couple of tanks and hope all is resolved.
Can anyone troubleshoot these plans for something I may have overlooked? No point going to all this trouble only to miss/forget something vital.
Last edited by che_guitarra; 02-18-2010 at 09:33 AM.