My First Jimny - Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site
Suzuki Forum Suzuki Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > Suzuki Jimny, Sierra & Samurai Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance Advertise

Suzuki-Forums.com is the premier Suzuki All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5
Gallery: 0
eskerwoman is on a distinguished road
Default My First Jimny

Hi to all on this forum. I am based in Ireland and I have just purchased my first Suzuki Jimny....albeit with a suspected cylinder head gasket problem..

The car has just over 80,000 and its a 2000 model 1.3ltr. Anyway I have parted with the cash and the risk of further problems......fingers crossed I will get out of jail with a head off, skim and refit.

Is there any advice out there on any other issues of concerns I need to be aware of as I prepare a top-end overhaul, clearly I will replace the timing belt and water pump, but any other advice would be much appreciated.

Sincere Regards from Ireland

Eskerwomen..
eskerwoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 1,862
Gallery: 2
Billjohn is on a distinguished road
Default

- When installing the head, make sure the gasket is laid down in the right direction. Otherwise you block a small oiling hole that will case ugly damage later on... (been there, done that).

- The screws that hold the rocker shafts into the head need to be 'staked' down to avoid losing them into the engine later. Use a mallot and a flat tipped screwdriver to stake them.

- If you can find an aluminum valve cover from a Geo Metro 1.3, it cleans up good for a little more 'bling' under the hood. It will fit a Suzuki 1.3 and looks a heck of a lot better than the stamped steel stock cover.

- Try to retain the stock exhaust manifold gasket. Not only does it seal better than an aftermarket gasket, but it also has heat sheilds built n to protect the plug boots.

- When setting the timing, Do it exactly like the Suzuki Factory Service manual says to... and then turn the disty rotor 180 degrees. The manual has an error and you will be 180 degrees out at the distributor.
Billjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 04:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5
Gallery: 0
eskerwoman is on a distinguished road
Default Really Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjohn View Post
- When installing the head, make sure the gasket is laid down in the right direction. Otherwise you block a small oiling hole that will case ugly damage later on... (been there, done that).

- The screws that hold the rocker shafts into the head need to be 'staked' down to avoid losing them into the engine later. Use a mallot and a flat tipped screwdriver to stake them.

- If you can find an aluminum valve cover from a Geo Metro 1.3, it cleans up good for a little more 'bling' under the hood. It will fit a Suzuki 1.3 and looks a heck of a lot better than the stamped steel stock cover.

- Try to retain the stock exhaust manifold gasket. Not only does it seal better than an aftermarket gasket, but it also has heat sheilds built n to protect the plug boots.

- When setting the timing, Do it exactly like the Suzuki Factory Service manual says to... and then turn the disty rotor 180 degrees. The manual has an error and you will be 180 degrees out at the distributor.
I would like to thank you for that most valuable information, much appreciated as it goes a long way when small projects are undertaken.

I will of course change the timing belt and water pump while we have the head off. Hopefully I would find any more serious damage, like a cracked head or damaged block. Do you feel its also worth getting the head skimmed while its off the block.

Can you recommend any companies to purchase the bits from.

Headset
Belt
Water Pump
Stat
Oil Filter.

Cheers

Lisa
AKA (Eskerwoman)
eskerwoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 1,862
Gallery: 2
Billjohn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskerwoman View Post
I would like to thank you for that most valuable information, much appreciated as it goes a long way when small projects are undertaken.

I will of course change the timing belt and water pump while we have the head off. Hopefully I would find any more serious damage, like a cracked head or damaged block. Do you feel its also worth getting the head skimmed while its off the block.

Can you recommend any companies to purchase the bits from.

Headset
Belt
Water Pump
Stat
Oil Filter.

Cheers

Lisa
AKA (Eskerwoman)
Any time, and welcome.

Suzuki motors have a bad habit of overheating when given a chance. Unfortunately that usually tweaks the head a little and that causes a gasket leak (or worse). Whenever you pull the head off, it is best to have it checked before putting it back together. If you have seen any sign of overheating or leakage then skimming (or 'decking') the head is recommended.

As for the parts, we are lucky. Many years ago we had to rely on the dealership or the local parts suppliers to find the parts needed. This didn't work out all the time, frankly because the parts were too expensive or too cheap (bad parts). Now we have Zook Vendors out there that have these parts in stock and stand behind them. Check out a few of the following, they should be able to help you.

PetroWorks
Welcome to Low Range Off-Road, your off-road parts and accessories source for your Suzuki, Toyota, and Jeep
HAWK STRICTLY SUZUKI | Welcome.
Billjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2009, 06:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Kingdom of England
Posts: 5,299
Gallery: 5
Rhinoman is on a distinguished road
Default

2000 Jimny has a G13BB engine, it already has an aluminium rocker cover and uses a distributorless ignition system.
Rhinoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 1,862
Gallery: 2
Billjohn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinoman View Post
2000 Jimny has a G13BB engine, it already has an aluminium rocker cover and uses a distributorless ignition system.
Thanks Rhinoman, I saw the 1.3 and completely missed the year. You are correct sir.
Billjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5
Gallery: 0
eskerwoman is on a distinguished road
Default

Well we got the head off tonight....had been off before as we found a number of holding down bolts "loose" on the right hand side. Had to remove the camshaft to access the left side bolts. Also noticed two of the rocker arm's had springs missing.. its a 16 valve head, which I am told is not popular in US models (8 valve heads)

No sign of overheating damage, kinda thinking it was a loose head. Will get it lightly faced and refit with hew gasket. Did notice that the new ( and old) gasket nearly covers a waterway hole on the front left side of the engine block..? is this something I need to consider and check out further.?

Will keep you posted on the next stage of works

Cheers

EW
eskerwoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 1,862
Gallery: 2
Billjohn is on a distinguished road
Default

With loose head bolts i would make sure the thing is still flat. The compression of the gasket will show you just how much you can trim to allow full flow of the water.
Billjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5
Gallery: 0
eskerwoman is on a distinguished road
Default

I am popping the head up to my local engineering workshop to have it checked and perhaps surfaced Machine Shop Westward Precision Engineering

Fingers crossed we will get out of jail. Need to locate those small springs that loop in behind the rocker shaft...2 rockers are missing these small springs...hmmmm
eskerwoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 05:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5
Gallery: 0
eskerwoman is on a distinguished road
Default

are you suggesting I trim the gasket over the gallery hole..? I will put a photo up showing this little problem later.. thanks
eskerwoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > Suzuki Jimny, Sierra & Samurai Forum

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.