Front Diff - Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site
Suzuki Forum Suzuki Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > Suzuki Jimny, Sierra & Samurai Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance Advertise

Suzuki-Forums.com is the premier Suzuki All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15
Gallery: 0
Buck is on a distinguished road
Default Front Diff

When you use the front diffs of Tracker or Sidekick, do you use the gear carrier from the Samurai to go in the front of the Samurai or the Tracker carrier?
The side gears from the Tracker have the same 22 spline as the Samurai for the front but not the rear.
Will the side gears from the Samurai rear carrier fit in the carrier of the Tracker or Sidekick?

Thanks

Buck
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 1,862
Gallery: 2
Billjohn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
When you use the front diffs of Tracker or Sidekick, do you use the gear carrier from the Samurai to go in the front of the Samurai or the Tracker carrier?
The side gears from the Tracker have the same 22 spline as the Samurai for the front but not the rear.
Will the side gears from the Samurai rear carrier fit in the carrier of the Tracker or Sidekick?

Thanks

Buck
Very good question. If you are lucky and find a third member with 22 spline sidegears, it is a direct bolt-in. But don't expect the housing to take any abuse out on the trail. it WILL work fine if you keep it on the pavement and off of the speed bumps. The track/kick housing is aluminum and can crack like an egg if you hit something solid.

If you expect to abuse the undercarraige on the trail, you will want to remove the [email protected] and install it in the Sammy (steel) housing on the Sammy carrier. you can use a kit to make it work. The kit has a shim to move the ring carrier back into the right alignment with the pinion and a 'can' (cylidrical shield) that keeps the carrier pins from sliding around. That is because the internal dimension of the ring gear is larger, so it doesn't hold the pins as well as the sammy ring gear...
Billjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15
Gallery: 0
Buck is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks Billjohn,

I found a front diff with 22 spline side gears with a limited slip carrierfrom a 1989 Tracker Automatic. It has 4.62 gears. I also found a diff from a 1997 Tracker with 26 spline axles but it has 5.13 gears. What gears would you recomend for a Samurai with a 1.6L 8 valve Throttle Body Injection and with 33 inch 0r 35 inch tires? I am building this to use in the bush as a side by side 4 wheeler but with a cab, heater, radio, wipers, etc.

Thanks
Buck
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 1,862
Gallery: 2
Billjohn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
Thanks Billjohn,

I found a front diff with 22 spline side gears with a limited slip carrierfrom a 1989 Tracker Automatic. It has 4.62 gears. I also found a diff from a 1997 Tracker with 26 spline axles but it has 5.13 gears. What gears would you recomend for a Samurai with a 1.6L 8 valve Throttle Body Injection and with 33 inch 0r 35 inch tires? I am building this to use in the bush as a side by side 4 wheeler but with a cab, heater, radio, wipers, etc.

Thanks
Buck
running up to a 35" tire you will want the 5.12's, but you will also want to upgrade the axleshafts. Trail Tough and Spidertrax have 26 spline shafts that are a direct replacement if you run 26 spline sidegears. But as I said above, you will want to put the gears in Sammy housings for the added strength. You just need a set of rear sidegears (26 spline Sammy) to make it work in the Sammy chunk. i will dig out a link if you need it for the swap.
Billjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15
Gallery: 0
Buck is on a distinguished road
Default

If you happen to find the link I would appreciate it. I need to find another set of 5.12 gears and some 26 spline side gears from sammi. Then I will order some kits to install the gears onto the sammi carrier.

Thanks Again Billjohn
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 1,862
Gallery: 2
Billjohn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
If you happen to find the link I would appreciate it. I need to find another set of 5.12 gears and some 26 spline side gears from sammi. Then I will order some kits to install the gears onto the sammi carrier.

Thanks Again Billjohn
Please forgive the navigation problems on the site, but here is a direct link to the article I did on swapping the sidegears.
Stock Sidegears
I also have one for swapping the sidegears in an ARB if anyone needs it.
Billjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 1,862
Gallery: 2
Billjohn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjohn View Post
Please forgive the navigation problems on the site, but here is a direct link to the article I did on swapping the sidegears.
Stock Sidegears
I also have one for swapping the sidegears in an ARB if anyone needs it.
Here is another article for setting the backlash.
Ring and Pinion
Billjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > Suzuki Jimny, Sierra & Samurai Forum

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.