Rear brake drums - Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site
Suzuki Forum Suzuki Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > Suzuki Jimny, Sierra & Samurai Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance Advertise

Suzuki-Forums.com is the premier Suzuki All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Paradise, CA
Posts: 74
Gallery: 0
Phils is on a distinguished road
Default Rear brake drums

How do you get the danged things off? '88 Samurai if it makes any difference.

I hit one a few times with a small sledge but didn't want to dent or damage the drum. (I DID remove the 4 bolts hold the drum on... or were those nuts? I can't remember now). I also had the wheel off, tho that shouldn't make any difference.

Actually I'd just like to adjust the rear brakes and find that the adjustment hole hasn't ever been "punched out". And I figured to punch it out and leave the piece to rattle around in the brakes wouldn't be good. And I also figured that as far out of adjustment as these brakes are, they are probably due for replacement and CAN'T be very expensive.

Do you need a special puller? Or hit it harder? Or do the secret dance three times during a full moon?

Phil
Phils is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 1,862
Gallery: 2
Billjohn is on a distinguished road
Default

If the brakes are that far gone, the shoes may be worn into drums and that may be why they aren't letting go very easily. A couple things you can do. First make sure your e-brake is released, and then if it doesn't feel slack enough (feel the cable firmness at the rear axle) disconnect the cable at the back of the drum. With the four axle nuts removed (center of the drum) put the tire back on, just leave at least a half inch of space between the lugs and the wheel. Make sure the jack stands are sturdy and the vehicle is stable. Use the wheel as a slide hammer to 'yank' the drum off.
If after 3-4 good whacks it doesn't pull loose, bleed the brakes at the rear wheels, and try again.
Billjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Pilsner Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Quesnel, BC
Posts: 94
Gallery: 3
Pilsner Pig is on a distinguished road
Default

What I have found helpful is to first put your lucky underwear on, grab a case of beer, drink 4 of the beer, make sure the vehicle is safely on the jack stands and then rent a slide hammer and go to town until eith er the drum comes off or you need a beer break. I find that after 6 beer per side and a big slide hammer it is all good. The only problem is that I have to wait until the next day to actually do anything productive once the drums are off (and the beer is gone). Remember we are talking Canadian Beer here so has a higher % goodness, factor that into the exchange ratio.

Seriously I just use a slid hammer and it works like a charm, some parts stores lend them out or you may need to rent one.

Cheers.
Pilsner Pig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Paradise, CA
Posts: 74
Gallery: 0
Phils is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsner Pig View Post
What I have found helpful is to first put your lucky underwear on, grab a case of beer, drink 4 of the beer, make sure the vehicle is safely on the jack stands and then rent a slide hammer and go to town until eith er the drum comes off or you need a beer break. I find that after 6 beer per side and a big slide hammer it is all good. The only problem is that I have to wait until the next day to actually do anything productive once the drums are off (and the beer is gone). Remember we are talking Canadian Beer here so has a higher % goodness, factor that into the exchange ratio.

Seriously I just use a slid hammer and it works like a charm, some parts stores lend them out or you may need to rent one.

Cheers.
Thanks yet again PP.

I'll just set up a "practice session" on Saturday (I'll drink the beer but only look at the Zuki drums.... this weekend is reserved for distributor work, which also requires liquid cooling).

I've used slide hammers before but don't own one so I'll see if I can borrow from an auto parts store. Dang, but I was hopin' for an easier way.

Phil
Phils is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Paradise, CA
Posts: 74
Gallery: 0
Phils is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjohn View Post
If the brakes are that far gone, the shoes may be worn into drums and that may be why they aren't letting go very easily. A couple things you can do. First make sure your e-brake is released, and then if it doesn't feel slack enough (feel the cable firmness at the rear axle) disconnect the cable at the back of the drum. With the four axle nuts removed (center of the drum) put the tire back on, just leave at least a half inch of space between the lugs and the wheel. Make sure the jack stands are sturdy and the vehicle is stable. Use the wheel as a slide hammer to 'yank' the drum off.
If after 3-4 good whacks it doesn't pull loose, bleed the brakes at the rear wheels, and try again.
I shoulda read your post first Bill. I just responded to the email about "new post" and didn't read farther until I was going back to the index.

The brakes aren't adjusted out enough to be keeping the drum on. I can pull each side's emergency brake cable more than an inch.

I like your "makeshift" slide hammer suggestion and will give it a try, reverting to the actual slide hammer if I need to.

Phil
Phils is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Pilsner Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Quesnel, BC
Posts: 94
Gallery: 3
Pilsner Pig is on a distinguished road
Default

If you are using the tire idea make sure you get the lug nuts threaded on to a depth where they have a good bite. I tried this and ended up stripping the last threads of the studs because I did not have them on far enough.
Pilsner Pig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 1,862
Gallery: 2
Billjohn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsner Pig View Post
If you are using the tire idea make sure you get the lug nuts threaded on to a depth where they have a good bite. I tried this and ended up stripping the last threads of the studs because I did not have them on far enough.
Good point. Because at that point you can't get to the back of the drum to replace the studs... GET A GOOD BITE!
thanks PP.
Billjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Paradise, CA
Posts: 74
Gallery: 0
Phils is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjohn View Post
Good point. Because at that point you can't get to the back of the drum to replace the studs... GET A GOOD BITE!
thanks PP.

Duly noted!!

Phil
Phils is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > Suzuki Jimny, Sierra & Samurai Forum

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.