Tire Size To Lift Info. - Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site
Suzuki Forum Suzuki Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > Suzuki Jimny, Sierra & Samurai Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Today's Posts Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance Advertise

Suzuki-Forums.com is the premier Suzuki All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 80
Gallery: 0
Mike124 is on a distinguished road
Default Tire Size To Lift Info.

If your wondering how much lift you will need to fit those bigger tires, then this should help you choose.

(Information is not 100%, remember to ALWAYS test fit a tire for clearance)

Tire Size - Lift Size

215 (27") - Stock (no lift is needed)
29x9.5 - 1.5"
30x9.5 - 2"
31x10.5 - 3"-4" (Over 3" you need longer brake lines / Over 4" need drive shaft spacers or long drive shafts)
32x11.5 - 4"-5" (Spring Over Axle Setup is recommend for lifts Over 3" for comfort reason)
33x12.5 - 6"-7" (You might have to upgrade you stock axles for tires bigger the 32", Calmini sells Heavy-Duty 27 Spline axles for front & rear)
Bigger then 33's - 8"+
====

You can combine lifts to gain a pacific amount of lift without messing with drivetrain.

For example, you could do a 2" Leaf Spring Lift + 2" Body Lift For 4" with is enough for 32's.

You'd get enough lift for 32's an not have to install drive shaft spacers or longer brake lines.

====

Go To this page "Truth About Lifts" for more information on lift types.

===

Mike124

Last edited by Mike124; 12-15-2008 at 04:34 AM.
Mike124 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-22-2008, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7
Gallery: 0
92_Kikr_4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks for posting this.

I'm thinking of lifting my kikr and putting a little bigger tires on it. I don't want a monster....but just a little bigger.

Thanks for the post.
92_Kikr_4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2008, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 80
Gallery: 0
Mike124 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92_Kikr_4x4 View Post
Thanks for posting this.

I'm thinking of lifting my kikr and putting a little bigger tires on it. I don't want a monster....but just a little bigger.

Thanks for the post.
Happy to help, check back in 30min or so, i'm adding more info to thread.
Mike124 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2008, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7
Gallery: 0
92_Kikr_4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike124 View Post
Happy to help, check back in 30min or so, i'm adding more info to thread.
Okay. Will do.
92_Kikr_4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2008, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 16
Gallery: 0
clivey is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92_Kikr_4x4 View Post
Thanks for posting this.

I'm thinking of lifting my kikr and putting a little bigger tires on it. I don't want a monster....but just a little bigger.

Thanks for the post.
You may also need offset rims or wheel spacers to prevent the bigger front tires from rubbing against the leaf springs during tight turns.

Fitting larger tires will adversely affect your gearing and you could feel a loss of "power" specially when going uphill.
clivey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2008, 10:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 80
Gallery: 0
Mike124 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivey View Post
You may also need offset rims or wheel spacers to prevent the bigger front tires from rubbing against the leaf springs during tight turns.

Fitting larger tires will adversely affect your gearing and you could feel a loss of "power" specially when going uphill.
Off-set is measurement for face of wheel. Backspace is measurement for back of wheel.
Mike124 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2008, 10:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 1,862
Gallery: 2
Billjohn is on a distinguished road
Default

That's a good start for tire measurements, but when you get to a 31 you're gonna start having problems turning. To fit 33's on my trail rig I had to move the axle forward, go to a high steer solution, go to an aftermarket bumper and trim/clearance the fenders/firewall. And that doesn't include the wheel spacers I added when I went to 31's...
If you just add height without the rest, you are gonna you're gonna get silly tall and badly balanced.
Anyone wanna guess what it takes to put 35's under a Sammy without looking silly?
hehehe...
Billjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2008, 10:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 16
Gallery: 0
clivey is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike124 View Post
Off-set is measurement for face of wheel. Backspace is measurement for back of wheel.
Thanks for the enlightenment. The tire guy used "offset" when he described the rims I needed for the bigger tires so I ended up using the same term.

From which points on the wheel is backspace measured?
clivey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2008, 11:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 80
Gallery: 0
Mike124 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivey View Post
Thanks for the enlightenment. The tire guy used "offset" when he described the rims I needed for the bigger tires so I ended up using the same term.

From which points on the wheel is backspace measured?
Lay wheel face down, Place a strip of wood or metal over rim an measure from bolt pattern up to to object like picture below shows.

Mike124 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2008, 11:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 80
Gallery: 0
Mike124 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjohn View Post
That's a good start for tire measurements, but when you get to a 31 you're gonna start having problems turning. To fit 33's on my trail rig I had to move the axle forward, go to a high steer solution, go to an aftermarket bumper and trim/clearance the fenders/firewall. And that doesn't include the wheel spacers I added when I went to 31's...
If you just add height without the rest, you are gonna you're gonna get silly tall and badly balanced.
Anyone wanna guess what it takes to put 35's under a Sammy without looking silly?
hehehe...
Yeah there is more to lifting your rig then what i posted.

This what it took when i did 5" SPOA lift to clear 31's on my girlfriend's 88 Samurai Tin-Top.

All found at Rocky-Road.com

Suspension
5" Bolt-on SPOA w/ Hydro Shocks (keep factory height springs)
2nd Rear Brake Line (86-88)
Drivetrain
4.57 Complete Combo Gearing Package
Traction Bar Kit
T-case Complete Mega-mount kit
Birfield Joints
Steering
OTT Steering Stage 1 for 5 Lift
OTT Steering Stage 2 Upgrade For Flat Arm
Bolt-on Panhard Kit for SPOA
OME Steering Stabilizer Shock Kit

Cost about $3,100.00 w/o Shipping, Wheels & Tires an other accessories
Mike124 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > Suzuki Jimny, Sierra & Samurai Forum

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.