While I was doing that, I was considering Engine choice. The 1300 was low on power, thirsty on fuel, and really didn't have the zing I wanted. Being stuck on a rock with 80 thousand people, the choices for donors was not good, I ended up going with the 1600 Vitara (Tracker?) 16v MPFI motor, which took some tracking down.
I really wanted the V6 but those are not ready for the scrap heap over here yet.
Anyway, I finally got the motor last years, btu time and money stopped the project. Due to fuel prices I cannot afford to run my Sammi in its current state, so the project is back online.
So, I got this donor 16v, but it had already been pillaged for the tank, dash and a lump of the wiring, but the motor, attachments and ECU were still in it.
I had made an adaptor some months earlier based on a swift GLX block, so that was all ready to go (and I am sure there have been many 16v conversions, so I won't bore you with the details).
Instead, I will fast forward to the now bit. After blowing up my ECU by attempting to go it alone with the wiring, I sourced a replacement off Ebay and after nearly blowing R881 AGAIN, I managed a code 12 and the engine runs.
Current state of place is I have a rolling chassis,and a body tub.
The back end of the chassis is now starting to take shape, that is a braced axle with a rear disc conversion, and a limited slip differential.
The fuel tank is from a 1995 V6 Vitara LWB (70 litres) so up from 8.8 UK gallons to over 15 will give me better range.