07-08-2015, 09:31 AM
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Misawa, Japan
I don't know about anything Samurai specific, but there are a few things you can check on all cars when buying a used car.
- large chunks of paint missing or discolored on the hood can indicate engine overheating
- Corroded battery terminals/connectors (white flakey stuff)
- Check all rubber (bushings in the shackles and spring mounts, tires, engine mounts, trans mount, etc.) for large cracks. Chances are all will have a little cracking on such an old vehicle.
- Make sure they tie rod ends still have some grease in there and don't have too much play and movement. Also, I am pretty sure the Samurai's have a rag joint, That would be good to look at and see if it is all cracked.
- Check all hoses for cracks or bulges
- check all fluids, for level and color
- make sure everything electric works by turning it on
- grab the top of each wheel and shake forward and back pretty hard to check wheel bearings. If you feel like there is something loose, it will probably need to be rebuilt.
- windshield wiper blades. Make sure they have rubber before turning them on.
- check for fluid leaks around oil pans and differentials.
when buying a car, don't be afraid to check everything out. Test things out. If something moves, move it, if it opens, open it, if it turns on, turn it on. Just my .02 anyways