My "new" '94 Samurai - Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site
Suzuki Forum Suzuki Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > Suzuki Jimny, Sierra & Samurai Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance Advertise

Suzuki-Forums.com is the premier Suzuki All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 08:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 11
Gallery: 0
jwIdaho is on a distinguished road
Default My "new" '94 Samurai

Some pix of my "new" '94 Samurai. I had been thinking of an ATV SxS until I saw how much they cost. The Samurai was a lot less money (plus some barter involved), is the same size, can be driven on the road, and it has a HEATER. Now I need to find a hardtop. Does anyone know if a top from a '86-'88 will fit a '94?
Attached Thumbnails
My "new" '94 Samurai-000_1436.jpg   My "new" '94 Samurai-000_1439.jpg   My "new" '94 Samurai-000_1440.jpg  
jwIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Expert
 
caseyjones955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Black Hills of South Dakota
Posts: 683
Gallery: 0
caseyjones955 is on a distinguished road
Default

Congrats, its quite sharp looking!! very nice score. I cant answer about the top but I use a ragtop even in South Dakota winters (because a hardtop probably wont fit around the roll cage).

Is it as nice inside? I have never seen one that was not an 87-88.
__________________
87 Samurai ragtop, 16v 1.6L MPFI, Thorley header, 2.25" exh w/magnaflow cat & muffler, full custom dash & instruments, PS, AC, 410 Toyota axles w/rear lockrite and front ARB, Jeep YJ springs, Missing links, 6.4:1 xfer gears with twisted T conversion, early 5 speed, 35x12.5 Wranglers. .
caseyjones955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Kingdom of England
Posts: 5,299
Gallery: 5
Rhinoman is on a distinguished road
Default

That looks good, a 94 will be an EFI model so that's a bonus.
Rhinoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 08:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 11
Gallery: 0
jwIdaho is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones955 View Post
Congrats, its quite sharp looking!! very nice score. I cant answer about the top but I use a ragtop even in South Dakota winters (because a hardtop probably wont fit around the roll cage).

Is it as nice inside? I have never seen one that was not an 87-88.
Thanx. I had never seen a '94 before and it surprised me to see this one for sale. The inside is good. The driver's seat is worn and needs a seat cover and the passenger seat looks new. Did you mean an after market roll cage or the stock roll bar set up? I think the government made them put in a heavier roll bar system for the '94 and take out the back seat to protect us so they could be sold here. The previous owner put a back seat in which I have removed.
jwIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2015, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 68
Gallery: 0
ammoduc is on a distinguished road
Default

Looks very nice, Any need for snow chains or does the 4x4 handle the snow?
ammoduc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2015, 12:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 11
Gallery: 0
jwIdaho is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammoduc View Post
Looks very nice, Any need for snow chains or does the 4x4 handle the snow?
In over 35 years I have never needed chains and I've had a lot of different 4x4s. Good tires are the most important thing and just because you have 4x4 you're not invincible. It doesn't stop you any faster on ice or packed snow. The only time you might need chains would be going uphill on a sheet of ice or trying to tow something on ice. I try to keep my 1/2 mile of gravel road plowed with my tractor to keep the snow from packing into ice and sometimes I have to plow for my daughter's Subaru because it doesn't have the ground clearance and snow packs underneath. Also it has all season radial tires which are fine if you live on pavement that is maintained.

.
jwIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2015, 08:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 68
Gallery: 0
ammoduc is on a distinguished road
Default

I learned something, Thank you.
ammoduc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Expert
 
caseyjones955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Black Hills of South Dakota
Posts: 683
Gallery: 0
caseyjones955 is on a distinguished road
Default

When I am unable to drive my rear wheel drive Lexus because of the snow I drive the Samurai. I have never needed any winter traction type tires and I have a monumentally bad hill in my driveway. Mine is sitting on some very worn 35" tires and a rear lock-rite. I usually have to be in 4hi to get home. But my driveway weeds out virtually all 2wd vehicles that do NOT have studded tires.

For extreme slick and especially hilly icy roads NOTHING will save your ass like studs. Empirical experience here.

If you get plenty of ice then snow tires might be handy for stopping/turning but as far as simply getting places my guess is you will never need to bother with chains or studs. One noteworthy aspect of a Samurai as a winter vehicle is the short wheelbase can make it pretty squirly if your not careful. The icy 70mph angry sweeping highway lane changes will be a big ol' no way.

About hard top fitment, I have an aftermarket roll cage. I beleive the OEM setups will all clear a hardtop. The tops can be tricky to locate but if you could find one on CL or something maybe the owner would allow you to test fit before purchase.
__________________
87 Samurai ragtop, 16v 1.6L MPFI, Thorley header, 2.25" exh w/magnaflow cat & muffler, full custom dash & instruments, PS, AC, 410 Toyota axles w/rear lockrite and front ARB, Jeep YJ springs, Missing links, 6.4:1 xfer gears with twisted T conversion, early 5 speed, 35x12.5 Wranglers. .
caseyjones955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 11
Gallery: 0
jwIdaho is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones955 View Post
When I am unable to drive my rear wheel drive Lexus because of the snow I drive the Samurai. I have never needed any winter traction type tires and I have a monumentally bad hill in my driveway. Mine is sitting on some very worn 35" tires and a rear lock-rite. I usually have to be in 4hi to get home. But my driveway weeds out virtually all 2wd vehicles that do NOT have studded tires.

For extreme slick and especially hilly icy roads NOTHING will save your ass like studs. Empirical experience here.

If you get plenty of ice then snow tires might be handy for stopping/turning but as far as simply getting places my guess is you will never need to bother with chains or studs. One noteworthy aspect of a Samurai as a winter vehicle is the short wheelbase can make it pretty squirly if your not careful. The icy 70mph angry sweeping highway lane changes will be a big ol' no way.

About hard top fitment, I have an aftermarket roll cage. I beleive the OEM setups will all clear a hardtop. The tops can be tricky to locate but if you could find one on CL or something maybe the owner would allow you to test fit before purchase.
I'm glad I have other 4x4s to drive. All our vehicles are 4x4 as after 4-6 months of snow we have mud for a month or so. The Samurai is even more squirrely than my Wrangler TJ. The Samurai is fine for going the 6 miles to town, but I bought it mainly to use as a UTV on my little ranch. I might even put a small snow plow on it. I'm also surprised that some people don't even know what a Samurai is. They are far more practical than a UTV and a whole lot less money.
jwIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > Suzuki Jimny, Sierra & Samurai Forum

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.