Thermostat? - Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site
Suzuki Forum Suzuki Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > Suzuki Forenza & Reno Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance Advertise

Suzuki-Forums.com is the premier Suzuki All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 01:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 511
Gallery: 6
suzukirallyready is on a distinguished road
Default Thermostat?

My check engine light came on and I was by auto zone so I pulled in and got the code, he said it was something to do with the radiator coolent? Well my enging heat gauge never goes up to half way even when I drive all day.. So could it be something with the thermostat?
suzukirallyready is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-13-2008, 02:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,805
Gallery: 0
kinkyllama is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Could be! How cold is it during the days where you are?

I'm probably ordering some cooler running thermostats at the start of next week btw
kinkyllama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 04:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran
 
exist3nce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,360
Gallery: 9
exist3nce is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

It would help if you knew which code exactly it was. It sounds like it could be a partially stuck open thermostat letting coolant constantly flow through the radiator, even when its not hot enough.

I had a stuck open thermostat and it eventually gave code P0128. I replaced the thermostat and everything was good.
__________________
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Professional P&P - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
exist3nce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2008, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 511
Gallery: 6
suzukirallyready is on a distinguished road
Default

Cool, These covered by warranty by chance? If not how much for one about? And kinky it's been about 32 degrees here for awhile until yesterday when it got up to 42 but no change in temp. display
suzukirallyready is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,805
Gallery: 0
kinkyllama is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukirallyready View Post
Cool, These covered by warranty by chance? If not how much for one about? And kinky it's been about 32 degrees here for awhile until yesterday when it got up to 42 but no change in temp. display
In the day when you driving allot?

Then I wouldn't worry about the engine not warming up so much but I would with the CEL. When it's 45 and below my car has trouble warming up. I have an upgraded radiator but still I would have to really really try to get the car to warm up in 32 degree weather. It'd get 1/4 without too much trouble but unless I was constantly hitting higher rpms it wouldn't stay any higher.

As ex3t said it's probably stuck open...that happens all the time with all makes/models. The cooler thermostats are going to be $99 at most...I'm ordering them as soon as I run mine for a little while just to be sure. It's from a good company and there isn't much that can go wrong but I'd like to be sure.
kinkyllama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 10:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 511
Gallery: 6
suzukirallyready is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkyllama View Post
In the day when you driving allot?

Then I wouldn't worry about the engine not warming up so much but I would with the CEL. When it's 45 and below my car has trouble warming up. I have an upgraded radiator but still I would have to really really try to get the car to warm up in 32 degree weather. It'd get 1/4 without too much trouble but unless I was constantly hitting higher rpms it wouldn't stay any higher.

As ex3t said it's probably stuck open...that happens all the time with all makes/models. The cooler thermostats are going to be $99 at most...I'm ordering them as soon as I run mine for a little while just to be sure. It's from a good company and there isn't much that can go wrong but I'd like to be sure.


But wouldnt a thermostat like that be more for a high output engine? I mean I dont have any power upgrades besides a intake... Ive heard good and bad things about them... Keeps it cooler thus more power wich makes since yet, I hear it can also keep the car from warming up thus bad heat so on.. What you think?
suzukirallyready is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2008, 01:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,805
Gallery: 0
kinkyllama is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukirallyready View Post
But wouldnt a thermostat like that be more for a high output engine? I mean I dont have any power upgrades besides a intake... Ive heard good and bad things about them... Keeps it cooler thus more power wich makes since yet, I hear it can also keep the car from warming up thus bad heat so on.. What you think?
In all honesty I couldn't tell you. There are so many mixed feelings about it that I haven't found any good info except one thing. This thermostat is supposed to warm the car up quicker due to better flowing capabilitys. So that being said I don't see any harm done by running only 10* cooler since it doesn't take along time to warm up. I'd also imagine that if it indeed does warm up faster, or at least on par with OEM that it's a pretty decent mod and should have some gains. I know I can tell a difference in power when my cars 1/4 on the temp gauge compared to driving around for awhile and being at full operating temperature.
kinkyllama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2008, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 511
Gallery: 6
suzukirallyready is on a distinguished road
Default

Does your temp gage ever go up to half way?
suzukirallyready is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2008, 11:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,805
Gallery: 0
kinkyllama is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukirallyready View Post
Does your temp gage ever go up to half way?
Yeah, well just below it at operating temperatures. I don't have the cooler therm yet though either. On cold days or any night other then summer it doesn't unless I'm driving at least spirited.
kinkyllama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2008, 12:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,284
Gallery: 5
tallkid is on a distinguished road
Default

how much will the thermostats be, danny?
tallkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > Suzuki Forenza & Reno Forum

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.