10-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Join Date: Jan 2006
Insuring Suzukis in North America
I've seen a claim that values of used Suzukis have plummeted in North America since Suzuki stopped selling cars here. That makes sense to me, but not a drastic change.
However, the same people claim insurance rates for Suzukis in North America will rise due to parts being more difficult and expensive to obtain. I think this is rubbish.
- most parts needed will be generic, such as brakes
- parts are a small portion of insurance costs, (compared to repair labour and personal injury, for example)
- Suzuki has undertaken to continue to provide parts for a while
- parts are available from wreckers
- parts are available from other areas where the models are still sold
- most cars are no longer in production and manufacturers don't stock parts forever anyway.
My own insurance cost is lower for my "orphan" Suzuki than my non-orphan Ford, and my rates did not go up when Suzuki pulled out.
Anyone care to comment on this?
2006 Grand Vitara JLX-L
2009 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD Limited