Suzuki Forums banner

soon with boost

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Tony the Tiger 
#1 ·
so i drove down and met up with micheal this evening a.k.a. Syith. We are gonna go ahead and start workin on a turbo system for my reno and see how it turns out. hopefully if all works out well we are gonna post some numbers after we get it dynoed and were discussing designing a turbo kit for the money impaired, lol like me. but neways will give more updates as time progresses.

#2 · (Edited)
Also hope to see some "racebuilt" motors out there too with some beefy internals. True test of time, mechanical ability and ability to get these parts in the first place. Turbos on a bone stock D-TEC motor would probably shred it within a year's time, but a proven formula could really help the daily drivers out. Hope you have backup transportation cause your cars will need extensive work.

I've seen too many kids turbo their motors just to see how many 10 second runs they can make before they throw rods through the block - and then they laugh and celebrate the death of their motor. That's pretty much completely against what cars were "meant" for, especially newer cars that probably aren't paid off yet.

#4 ·
well i ran a turbo on a 1998 z24 w/ 9.8:1 compression for 2 years on a bone stock engine at 15psi and put over 50,000 miles on it, and was religously at the dragstrip every firday night makin atleast 14 passes. and the only time it ever gave me trouble is when i bumped the boost controller and it saw 28 psi and broke a piston ring. but it still drove home and i rebuilt it and kept on goin. but we are gonna do this one up a little better i went and picked up all my old turbo stuff from the cavalier last night and have been gettin everything prewired to hook up into the reno today. and as for the laughin at blowin the engine i dont laugh at them and basically im doin this for the whole reno forenza crew to see what a stock 2.0 will actually hold instead of hearin about what everybody is scared to go past. i have always pushed my cars to there limits and this is just another project to see what this one can and cant do. not bein an ass just statin what im tryin to do.\
Josh

#5 ·
chevyimports said:
im doin this for the whole reno forenza crew to see what a stock 2.0 will actually hold instead of hearin about what everybody is scared to go past. i have always pushed my cars to there limits and this is just another project to see what this one can and cant do. not bein an ass just statin what im tryin to do.\
Josh
We already know the limits of the engine as far as boost is concerned. I know 5 people that can tell you exactly what psi this and that will go. The only thing that hasn't been consitant with that is the connect rod bolts, sometimes they go at 5psi sometimes at 12psi they never went. There's no reason to push an engine past its points unless like you said, to learn where the points are but we already know.

#6 ·
It takes a large group of people to really get a good idea on how much stress the engine could take. A few individuals playing with a few motors is just not enough because flaws in the fuel system, bad tuning, poor cooling, etc.. can eventually lead to detonation/preignition which is the cause for rods flying out and pistons with holes...LOL I've seen guys going through 4-5 motors at a specific level of HP, but the real cause was a bad crank sensor which caused timing to fluctuate. However, the guy thought the motor was only good for "so and so WHP".

One of the best method to get a good idea is to have a really experienced engine builder/machinist and have a good look at the bottom-end. From there, he should tell you how the rods look, the mains, the supports, structure, etc... I actually turbocharged a Camry V6 engine and guys often were scared to go past 250 WHP on a supercharged setup. Often they would punch rods through the block, etc.. at a measly 250 WHP or so. Problem was the fact that the supercharger wasn't intercooled, and lots of cooling issues. My turbo setup made 350 WHP on the stock motor for 2 years just because my engine builder told me it could do it, and I trust his judgement more than a few members on the forums.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.