Suzuki Forums banner

Gear Shifting difficulty

21K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  ronaldcmanuel 
#1 ·
Hi All, ive always had difficulty shifting gears with my van. its like i have to make the right timing everytime and my clutch pedal always touches the floor. This occurs on all my gears (1 to 5). My van is F10A 1000cc 5 speed. Im planning to have the transmission overhauled. but im not really sure if that would help. YT told me he only changes the cables on his van and it works like charm.

Has anyone have the same problem? I would greatly appreciate any comment/suggestions that would enlighten me before i spend a fortune having it overhauled.

Thanks much.:)

#2 ·
Sounds as though your clutch cable needs adjustment. If properly adjusted, your clutch pedal should have about 1/4 inch of 'free play' before its gets a little more difficult to push. My guess is that yours has too much free play. Does the pedal push down easily for an inch or so before you can feel it start to disengage the clutch? If so, underneath, where the cable connects to the transmission bell housing, there should be a threaded end on the cable. Adjust the cable so there is a small amount (1/8") of free play in the cable. The clutch is then properly adjusted or close enough to operate correctly.

Another thing that often causes shift problems on these is improperly adjusted or sticky shift linkage in the console, but if your clutch goes all the way to the floor before disengaging you need to start with the clutch cable adjustment.

Unless your transmission is causing you other problems, noisy, popping out of gear, etc., chances are there is nothing wrong with your transmission and 'overhauling' it will do nothing good for you, in fact, it may cause problems you didn't already have.

Larry.

#3 · (Edited)
Hi Larry, First i wanted to thank you for this. I've been thinking you would be the first one who would reply to me on this last night. And here you are! Thanks mate.

My transmission is not causing any noise or popping out of gear etc (it does however have oil leaks, coming from the speedometer cable opening and in the clutch shaft)..
Does both have a rubber seal? Oil shouldnt be coming out from the clutch shaft right?

Ill start with the cable adjustment and yes inspecting underneath beforehand i can say that ive located the threaded end of the cable - with the adjusting nut.

Can you tell me a bit about 'shift linkage' did you meant the 2 cables that is attached to the stem of my shift stick? if so, what is the proper adjustment on that one? i case the clutch cable adjustment didnt work..

Thanks again.

#4 ·
You are correct, there should not be oil coming from the clutch fork area. If there is, one of two seals is bad. You need to determine which seal it is. Smell the oil, if it's gear oil out of the transmission, it will smell strong and nasty. Otherwise, it will smell like motor oil. If it's gear oil, the input shaft seal is bad. If it's engine oil, the cause of the problem is most likely the rear main seal. Make sure the top of the transmission is dry as sometimes a leaky valve cover gasket or something else up top will cause oil to drip down inside the transmission bell housing. ANY oil contacting the clutch disk can cause slippage and clutch failure.

The speedo leak should be easy. There should be one bolt holding the cable connector in. Remove the cable connector, it should have a rubber "O" ring on it. Replace the "O" ring.

Yes, I was refering to the shift cables attached to the shift stick. Try the clutch adjustment, as that is most likely your problem. If that doesn't work I'll try to explain how to adjust the shift cables. Just lubing them with WD-40 or another penetrating oil may help them tremendously.

Larry.

#10 ·
dong, baka brake or clutch fluid kulang ka. on irvin's van it would work kasi modified yung van nya kasi kaya ganun. so far sa ating dalawa, since we bought the vans here in manila, pls. try checking the fluid. baka yun lang ang problem.

if that's not the problem then pacheck yan sa mechanic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.