Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site - View Single Post - Need to balance driveline, or not?
Suzuki Forum Suzuki Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance Advertise

Suzuki-Forums.com is the premier Suzuki All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Billjohn
Veteran

Gallery: 2
Billjohn is on a distinguished road

You have to make sure the U-joints are 'in phase'. What does this mean? It means that they should be in exactly the same position at both ends of the shaft. Here is a pic that shows (sort of) how the angles need to compliment each other to allow synchronized movement at the front and rear of the shaft. I know, I know... this is a single shaft without splines, but I couldn't find another pic righ away. The idea is the same.

If a splined shaft gets pulled apart, it is important that it go back together so that the u-joints line up like the pic. The dots on the splined ends make it easy.
Now this is for a stock Zook shaft, for those folks that have upgraded to CV shafts it is a whole different set of rules.

...and no. You don't have to mark the diff or t-case to make sure the yoke gets bolted on exactly the way it came off. This is a 4wd vehicle with a transfer case... the front and rear shafts are never going to be (or need to be) in 'synch' with each other. Once the t-case gear lever is shifted, it would change the rate and there goes any synchronization.

Just keep the u-joints in phase and you will be good.

Last edited by Billjohn; 07-10-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Billjohn is offline   Reply With Quote