Suzuki Forums banner

Sounds like steering shaft needing grease??

12K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Joe Z 
#1 ·
When I turn my wheel to either side it sound like my steering is rubbing or needs grease??Can it be greased or what would cause this rubbing sound?Its pretty darn loud...

#7 ·
Mine sounds like that too. Sounds like it is coming from the steering wheel shaft but maybe the sound is traveling from some other area and I hear it as coming from the steering shaft. :confused: Mine is lifted and has manual steering. I think those large balls that the wheels turn on need to be lubed on mine. One looks lubed and the other dry. Really have no idea causes the noise.

#8 ·
its the bushing inside the steering column housing. you have to remove the steering wheel, then spray penetrating oil down the steering shaft sleeve untill it gets deep into the column housing, then turn the column left to right about thirty times, then repeat, untill it goes away.

#9 ·
its the bushing inside the steering column housing. you have to remove the steering wheel, then spray penetrating oil down the steering shaft sleeve untill it gets deep into the column housing, then turn the column left to right about thirty times, then repeat, untill it goes away.[/QUOTE

Now this sounds like the problem I have. I know the sound is from the steering colum and in my case nothing to do with a lift , tires etc.
but penetrating oil seems to be temporary soulution. Is there a better way?
Perhaps grease?

#11 ·
I have this same problem and I tore the whole front end apart one link at a time to finally get the culprit. The universal joint on the steering column under the master cylinder has a rusty cup. I looked everywhere and I can't find one new so I emailed a few places for a used yoke assembly as the u joint is difficult to remove although I did it with my vice and some sockets. If anyone knows where I can get this universal joint please let me know. Thanx

#12 ·
If anyone knows where I can get this universal joint please let me know. Thanx
You can still buy it from Suzuki, as far as I know. Old part number was 48230-80120.

1988 SUZUKI SAMURAI Parts - Suzuki Parts | OEM Suzuki Parts | Genuine Suzuki Parts

A little pricey @ $85 plus shipping. There are a lot of aftermarket steering componet suppliers out there. Found them through some searches while looking for other things. You should be able to measure the shaft diameter and count the splines to come up with a replacement. Might cost you less.

#14 ·
I've never taken a Samurai column apart but, the GV uses a "1640" universal joint - 16 mm diameter cups, 40 mm cross, I used a Toyo ST-1640 which I picked up at a local parts house - measure yours and see how the dimensions match and then find a Nissan dealer, apparently Nissan supplies them separately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.