Suzuki Forums banner

Trans Noise...Help...Please

12K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ZuKing 
#1 ·
Hello all, here's the "Question"

1987 Samurai, 117K
Transmission is quite when you push in the clutch
There seems to be a bearing noise when clutch is out
You can hear it very well when you put your ear on the shifter knob.
Front transmission bearing????
Pilot bearing??????
If it is the front bearing is it advisable to replace all trans bearings?? also will I need any Proprietary Tools or a press.

Also another question, what would be on your top 5 things to do to my 87 in terms of maintenance or potential problem fixes. Not really interested in Do-Dad preferences like wheels, lifts etc.... thanks for the HELP!

#2 ·
well,kinda sounds like a throw out bearing(release bearing).Mine was doing that to but then noticed while in 5th I had a very loud bearing sound coming from the trans.So had to swap it out,While I had my trans out i installed a Petro Works clutch and the bearings.My throw out bearing was toast.

#3 · (Edited)
My SAMURAI HAD THE SAME NOISE, IT WAS THE T.O. BEARING. WHILE YOU HAVE THE TRANNY OUT TO REPLACE THE T.O. BEARING, ALSO REPLACE THE PILOT BEARING. MIGHT EVEN BE A GOOD IDEA TO CONSIDER REPLACING THE CLUTCH IF IT IS WORN, AND HAVING THE FLYWHEEL RESURFACED. 1987 Suzuki Samurai Parts - PartsGeek BEST PRICES, FAST SHIPPING, ORIGINAL OEM PART FROM JAPAN!!!

COMMON PROBLEMS, THE TRANSMISSION, AND TRANSFERCASE SHIFTERS BOTH HAVE RUBBER BUSHINGS ON THE BASE OF THE SHIFTERS THAT DRY, AND CRACK OVER THE YEARS. THOSE ARE BOTH CHEAP FIXES. Suzuki Samurai Parts THEY GOT YOU COVERED! U-JOINTS, RUBBER ENGINE/TRANS MOUNTS, ARE THINGS YOU SHOULD ALSO LOOK AT.

I HOPE THIS HELPS. IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER QUESTION, SHOOT!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM, AND THANKS FOR JOINING!

#5 ·
Hello all, here's the "Question"

1987 Samurai, 117K
Transmission is quite when you push in the clutch
Then it's probably not the throwout, or pilot bearing. The only time those rotate is when the clutch pedal is pressed. Could be any number of componets making noise: Input bearing, input to mainshaft needle bearing, countershaft bearings, or, just the normal gear noise from a tranmission with 117K on it. How much noise it's making is the real question and what kind of vibrations you have when it's under load. If, you have a lot of rattling to go along with the "noise", I'd be more inclinded to be worried about some impending failure.

#7 ·
If, you have noise from your throw out bearing when there is no pressure on the clutch pedal, then either your free play is out of adjustment, the throw out bearing is sticking on the input shaft bearing retainer housing, or, the return spring is broken. The throw out bearing should only contact the pressure plate release fingers when you depress the clutch pedal. That's because they don't last long when they are constantly turning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.