Suzuki Forums banner

Strange Electrical Problem

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Billjohn 
#1 ·
My 88 1/2 Sammi just started having a strange electrical problem. At first it acted like the alternator was bad; running off the battery. I checked the alternator's output and found about 1 volt. So I replaced it and all seemed fine for a day or two. Then the problem happened again. I noticed, too, that when things weren't running right, if I turned on the headlights or the blower, the radio quit working. Turn off the lights or blower, radio came back on. Had the battery checked and found 3 weak cells, so bought new battery. All seemed fine even though the battery should not have caused the problem. Then today on the way to work, all seemed fine and then I switched on the heater blower and the radio quit. Turned blower off, radio came back on. Then the radio started going on and off, on and off, etc. Finally all dash warning lights came on and the engine stalled. Trying to start it was like having a near-dead battery; hardly would crank the engine. I had to push the Sammi to the curb. After a few more minutes, it cranked and started like nothing ever happened! I drove the last mile to work and all was fine. Any ideas?????????????? :confused:

#3 ·
A common electrical sstem upgrade for the Sammies is to add another 'ground' wire from the engine block to the frame. If you are experiancing grounding problems, also check the condition of the clutch cable. Sometimes the little wires Suzuki uses as main ground lines fail. When this happens, the electricity will find any other path to make the circuit. Unfortunately this means that the clutch cable becomes a ground cable... It will get hot and this will melt the insulation sheathing and cause the cable to lose its ridgidity. When this happens, you push on the clutch (pulling the cable) and the cable housing collapses and the clutch does not dissengage as it should.

Sounds strange that an electrical problem will cause the clutch cable to fail, but it is a common problem. Use an additional ground strap!
;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.