K&N air filter and intake? - Page 2 - Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site
Suzuki Forum Suzuki Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > 1G (2001-2006) XL-7
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance Advertise

Suzuki-Forums.com is the premier Suzuki All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2019, 10:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
fordem will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL7Limited View Post
I have been using drop in K&N's for decades and never ever had an issue with any of them passing any dust at all. EVER. Did they do anything for power or mileage? nope. But use em anyway
Question - have you been driving in dusty conditions?

Curious fact - I live in a little South America country, where I spend most of the year, but I'll be in North America, US to be specific, a couple of times every year, and on those trips, I'll actually "clock" more miles, than I will when I'm at home.

The 2015 Kia in my signature was bought new in January of 2015 and already has close to 50,000 miles on the clock - it's garaged in Florida, when I'm not stateside.

Florida and the southern states closest to it are where I'm most likely to be, although I do get around some, and the streets in most urban areas of the US are way cleaner than any other country I've been in, save for Canada.

Yup - I have driven through the US and up into Canada - driven the 75 north into Michigan, crossed the Ambassador bridge Detroit~Windsor and then taken the 401 east into Toronto - hail/snow/torrential rainfall - all in one trip - young love, but that's another story all together.

I'd love to know how the "developed" countries, the so called "first world", keeps their streets clean, because right now I'm having issues with the Sahara dust and I'm over three thousand miles away from the desert.

You can take one of those skid steer loaders and scoop the sand off the corner of the streets here, load a truck with it, and come back and do it again in a week.

If you haven't heard of the Sahara Dust and the challenges it creates, now might be a good time to google it - an estimated hundred million tonnes of dust gets moved every year.

Guyana is just visible in the image below, but we're right in the path of that red dust cloud.

I can show you what gets trapped by a paper filter in the standard airbox, in as little as a thousand miles, and you'll never, EVER see me drop a K&N in there - in fact, I'm looking for a snorkel so I can get the air intake out from under the arch, it gets dusty under there...
15 - 2.4 Kia Sportage
fordem is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2019, 11:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran

2013GV is on a distinguished road

Hey Fordem,

If you do fit a snorkel, its probably going to collect more dust than the under arch does now. Fit a cyclonic pre filter to the snorkel, you will be amazed how well they work, if you get the ones that automatically dump the dust when they get full it saves another job.
the 2013 3 dr GV is now the off road only toy

"Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car, in case the need should arise for them to bark violently at nothing right in your ear."
2013GV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 08:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

XL7Limited is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013GV View Post
The drop in paper elements are not bad, Still not as good as OEM.

But most of the pods are rubbish in my opinion and not worth the money. Simple rule, if you can see daylight thru it, it an't going to filter squat.
Like I said, NOT ONE particle of dust ever made it past no less then 10 K&N's in 10 seperate vehicles over the decades Ive used them.
XL7Limited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran

2013GV is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL7Limited View Post
Like I said, NOT ONE particle of dust ever made it past no less then 10 K&N's in 10 seperate vehicles over the decades Ive used them.
I'll agree to disagree at least for the vehicles here.

Maybe we have different dust? I know we have braided moraine riverbeds like nowhere else in the world, so no doubt our dust particle size is probably different too.
I regularly see dust on the throttle body side of the intakes of the filter element on K&N equipped vehicles, even those driven solely on asphalt. For this reason alone I won't fit them.
the 2013 3 dr GV is now the off road only toy

"Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car, in case the need should arise for them to bark violently at nothing right in your ear."
2013GV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > 1G (2001-2006) XL-7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in