Suzuki Forums banner

Diesel conversion

21K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  4WDHypo 
#1 ·
im looking at pulling out my current slowly dying 1.3l, and putting in a diesel motor to get a bit more power, different models shouldnt be a problem as i can make most modifications myself to make the engine fit, what are the more popular and more efficient Diesels to put into the sierras without going overboard?

thanks, all help will be appreciated :):)

#2 ·
the more popular diesels are the VW turbo diesels. 1.9L and 1.6L. They are very reliable engines and supply a whole lot of power and low end torque. The 1.9's are more dificult to come by, but can be had in the U.S. for about $2500 rebuilt. You can also get conversion kits including adapter plates and motor mounts. Acme and Axis are the two more popular ones I believe. The VW TDI is a more expensive engine and is electronically controlled. Its a more efficient engine but a wiring nightmare. If you go with a diesel you will need to run larger tires to compesate for the lower RPM's. They run much lower rpms but have enough torque to drive a much larger wheel at those speeds. Usually you need to do a 3" SPO lift to clear the engine and steering linkage, so a larger 31" or 32" tire should fit fine.

Here's a link to a yahoo group you can join with tons of usefull info on samurai diesel conversions.
SamuraiDiesel : Suzuki VW Diesel

Here's a link to a gear converter to figure out what gears and tires to run for your desired RPM range.
Suzuki Samurai Gear Calculator

#3 ·
Thanks a heap for the help Baratacus, but the problem with the volkswagens is that theyre few and far between in Western Australia, so i was wondering how similar the Astra CDTi 1.9litre turbo diesel is to the VW 1.9 in engine shape, some of these stats may help. the Astra diesel makes 110kW @4000rpm, and 320Nm @ 2000rpm, and is bolted up to a 6 speed manual. any help again will be muchly appreciated :)

#4 · (Edited)
Check for availability of the 2.0 ltr. Mazda FP diesels in Australia. They were used in the Japan market Suzuki Escudo Nomado or Mazda Proceed Levante in the mid 90's. Maybe an importer of breaker vehicles could source one for you.

Applicable Suzuki models are the KD-TD31W or KD-TA31W.

#5 ·
if you check out that diesel samurai group I linked, they have all kinds of builds and people from all over the world. The VW is just the more comon one, but there are all kinds of builds using diesels from various donors.

Keep in mind that the Astra 1.9TD was used in many different vehicles. The engine itself was made by Fiat and is known as the JTD 1.9L. Holdens version in their Astra is the CDTI 1.9 that is also found in the Opel, Chevrolet, Saturn, and Vauxhall Astra. So when searching for that motor, keep in mind that there are a lot of different donor vehicles than just the Astra.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.