Suzuki Forums banner

Calmini Safari/Roof Rack ???

16K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  Pilsner Pig 
#1 ·
I am want to add a Calmini roof rack to my 1987 tintop Samurai but need some measurements to make sure I will still be able to get in and out of the garage.
I also have a sunroof and am wondering if it will still be able to crack open to the first notch.

Does anyone have any of the following measurements
- Top of samurai to the top of the rack
- Top of samurai to the bottom of the rack

Thanks in advance...

#2 ·
I'm sorry I don't have the measurements you need, but have you looked at the mounting points for the roof rack? Unless they have changed the design I thought that they mounted to the windshield hinges and the rear corner of the bed 'ledge'. I didn't think they mounted on a tintop.

#10 · (Edited)
hey whatever floats your boat bro just aslong as your not getting it analy from your dad

The thread is very specific about the CalMini rack.
Not sure why you even posted in the first place with a "I got one off of EBAY for $30" because you did NOT get a CalMini rack or even one that is close to being like it.

I am sure you got a great deal on the roof rack but that is not what I am looking for. I thought the thread was pretty clear with the question.

Please read the thread before hitting reply....
If I had asked for general roof rack info them your reply would fit, but yet you still didn't answer the question asked in the first place.....
Thanks for trying to help but not the info I am hunting for.

#12 · (Edited)
I have one (a Calmini) for a soft top that I'm modifying to use with my winter hardtop. The one that you are looking at uses the same top rack that is 6" in depth/height and it looks like the side rails are the same with the exception of the soft top uses down bars at the back instead of gutter mounts. The best overall guess I have is that it will increase your overall height of about 8-9". as far as the sun roof the basket has widely spaced bars that should allow some movement, you should have about 1.5-2" clearance between the roof and the bars. It all depends on where your sun-roof lines up with the bars...you may get more if there is no gear in the basket.

Just my 2 cents (or 1.2cents CAnadian!) good luck.

#16 · (Edited)
Funny you claim that you left yourself logged in and you try to come across as a nice guy in a bad situation AND then you send me a Private Message that is exactly like the post that YOU made on this thread...
The posts on the other forums are just like the ones you have here....
I am sure your reputation will catch up with you on this forum as it did on the other forums.
If the personal info you posted on the other forms is not yours then why are you worried about it being on here... it is "not" your info acording to you.

How about you edit your posts and I will edit your info off of my post and we can call this a big misunderstanding and this will be resolved.

#18 ·
I finally got my rack on and it is 8.5" above my hardtop which should be the same for the soft top.

I had to modify the rear supports to clear the hardtop but otherwise it fits great and I recommend getting one.

hopefully it won't rub through the fibreglass and padding of the roof.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.