Suzuki Forums banner

lift

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Billjohn 
#1 ·
could someone give me some advice, i have an sj which has SPOA is this a bad idea? because the prop shaft is sat at an incredible angle from the rear diff to drum on the gearbox. Will the UJ wear regularly as i have had one just go?
thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Spoa works, but to make it work more effectively there are a few things that should be considered. The distance from the diff the the t-case is now longer, so many folks just use spacers. This doesn't do anything to lessen the new higher angles at the u-joint. Going to a stronger, longer driveshaft can lessen those angles a bit. If you go with an aftermarket CV (or double cardon joint) driveshaft you can make it even smoother by turning the differential up to point straight at the t-case. Don't try this with a standard driveshaft or you will have a disaster. Here is an example:
CV Driveshaft

This puts all the angle at the t-case and the DC joint can take the abuse a bit better. You can see it still has two u-joints inside of it that makes the geometry work.

But if nothing else, at least consider taking a front shaft and having it shortened to the length you require. This will probably only be an inch or so longer than the original rear shaft, but it is cheaper to shorten a shaft than it is to make one longer...

#4 ·
A Tom Woods shaft (pictured above) should outlast your zook, depending on how hard you bash it. When I first reviewed the shaft for an article, I asked Tom how I could test it knowing that the power of a zook would never come close to breaking it. He told me 'Drop the vehicle on a rock and hit the gas!". I thought he was joking, but he wasn't. I got the opportunity to do just that at the Las Cruces Chile Challenge that year. I got stuck on a rock (full weight on the drive shaft) and something in my head just popped - I hit the gas! Rock chunks and dust spit out everywhere, but I am still running that same driveshaft today - a good 6 years later. Now I am running one of his front shafts as well. here is a link to the Review article: CV Drive Shaft

You can get pricing from his web site, but b warned - these aren't your typical $100 driveshafts...
http://www.4xshaft.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.