Suzuki Forums banner

Is your car rolling back/forward when in 1st gear on medium incline?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

New Suzuki car rolling backwards when in 1st gear - Happens to you or not?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Filbuntu 
#1 ·
We just got a new Ertiga MT 2017 and found out that when we park the car on a medium uphill/incline street and put in the first gear, the car rolls back or forward slowly and jerkily a few inches each time (before we use the handbrake). We have not experienced this with any car before.
We always put the handbrake on, too, but the car would not roll when we put the first gear unless it was very steep.
We were wondering whether this is normal with this model.
:trophy: - Do you experience the same with your car (which model?) when you put in the first gear (manual)?
:trophy: - Or does it NOT happen to you? This would be helpful to know, too!
Thanks in advance for any reply!

#3 ·
Re: Low compression

Hi Philip!
Thanks for this quick reply! Do you mean low compression in the cylinders?
Is this normal or a defect?
If defect, do you know whether it can be fixed? How?
If it is not fixed, can it have long term problems?
Any answer or help is much appreciated!
Dan

#4 ·
ANY manual transmission vehicle relegated solely to engine braking on an incline is subject to movement. Engine compression isn't without at least a slight leak-by / loss as there is no perfect cylinder pressure confinement in this scenario.

Gear selection, gear ratio, incline amount and peculiarities to each engine's design and wear are the only variables as to the amount of movement which can potentially advance (roll) the platform. ;)

#5 ·
Thanks a lot, Max, for the helpful explanation.
Can I assume that as it is a brand new car there should not any wear yet and the design of the Ertigas should be the same?

My question is whether movement is normal with a medium incline, not on a steep hill with a new car. Have you heard of new Suzuki (Ertiga) rolling in a not steep street?

#7 ·
Usually parked cars don't roll

Thanks XL7Limited for your contribution, although I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain a bit more? What means clutch in for you?
Maybe I have not explained it well. So far ALL the cars I parked (after: engine turned off, first gear in (foot off the clutch pedal), slowly release the foot brake and wait a second as the car might roll an inch or so till it is fixed) would NOT roll an inch even in with a steep incline. If it is very steep, yes, most cars would roll, but as mentioned before we don't talk about that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.