Suzuki Forums banner

89 sierra rear wheel bearing probl

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Darrell. 
#1 ·
Hi I've refitted new bearings, when I do up the bearing backing plate it cause the axle to lock up, same on both sides, bearings same width as old ones . Can anyone help please

#2 ·
Check to see if the bearing spins freely with the axles removed, that the bearings are fully advanced and seated against the axle shoulder.

Then make sure that you didn't mix right and left axle assemblies, as in some applications they are of different lengths. ;)

Welcome aboard too Brad.

#4 ·
Thanks guys, when I fit the axles without tightening the backing plate, it all turns freely, as soon as I tighten the backing plates it locks up, the bearings move freely out of the diff, it's just a bearing and lock ting, I've noticed the bearings protrude approx 1 mm from the diff housing. Ive measured the old bearing against the new one and they are the same

#5 ·
The retaining plate should contact only the outer race portion in order to pinch / secure the bearing in the axle tube, thus keep the whole bearing from turning.

Are you using the outer retainer plates that were removed originally? The retainers weren't flipped or damaged in the bearing to axle assembly (pressing) process, right? :huh:

What is the reasoning for even replacing the axle bearings? The cause may help us to determine the existing issue.

Was the correct axle bearing retainer used? ABS and non-ABS vehicle retainers differ as an example.

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.