Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site - View Single Post - 3" shackle lift...Yes or No?
Suzuki Forum Suzuki Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance Advertise

Suzuki-Forums.com is the premier Suzuki All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
[email protected]

Gallery: 0
cookranch@juno.com is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baratacus View Post
you didn't say ALL of the negatives. Here's some more.

Your stock shocks and swaybar will not allow your axle to travel down as far as a 7" shackle will try to push it. This will flatten out your already flat springs and give you absolutely zero articulation upwards. Since the suspension is maxed out on down travel it will articulate absolutely zero downwards. You are now essentially running on a vehicle with no suspension. Eventually your swaybar mounts will break from the stress and your shock mounts will snap and then your vehicle will jack to one side and roll over or careen into something.

Once you've dropped the front of the spring down that far, it rocks the whole front axle forward, which compeltely screws up your caster angle. This will make it steer like a bumper car. It will be almost impossible to go in a straight line and it will wander and be squirly everytime you move the steering wheel, and every time it hits a bump or rut. Since it can't absorb the impact with the suspension anymore you will need a death grip on the wheel to keep it from careening out of control.

I know these things because I did this to my Samurai when I first got it 15 years ago. Everyone but me was too terrified to drive it, and no one would ride in it when I drove, so I went a lot of places by myself. I spent about a year torturing those around me, and having countless people tell me that it was the stupidest suspension ever. I eventually invested in a real suspension and it drives better than it did stock. I'm just glad no one died before I got it through my thick skull that a simple shackle lift is a bad idea.
Suddenly the light came on. I bought my 88 Sammy with homemade shackles. (about 4")
Ride was horrible as you describe. I thought it was just cause they were flimsy. So I bought the beefy ones with the cross piece. Handling is still awful. Scary in fact.
After reading the explaination in this thread I can hardly wait to get stock length shackles back on. So , does a block lift cause suspension problems? Thank you all for the information!
cookranch@juno.com is offline   Reply With Quote