my over 60 eyes, , i go to the "Dollar Store" ( i have their stock too) and buy all 1x to 3.5x reading glasses.
and put them in my tool box, now i can see at any range. YMMV.
btw all the seals are sold. see ID below( all Suz ID)
leaks: now we do the list. 3L30 box.
- front cover inspection cover (bellhousing) below dead center of TC, is there ATF leaking here?
- the Transfer case has an vent in the front dry box. see photo below.
- the xfr case TO the 3sp case. and is dry,
- see a slit (slot) at the SPLIT? make it clean with a knife. look for test drain plug.?
- does it drip ATF? if yes, rear seal 3sp is shot, (or worse) iD #14 (GL4 xfr case seal fail, ATF , 3sp seal fail)
- worse is bad bushing on 3sp tail shaft that beat out a good seal, most seals fail because they are victims.
- gear shift shaft o-rings leak. Id 3 page 63 (right side of tranny under PRN switcH)
- TCC connector lower left 0ring leaks.ID 14 (per poster here, a ten cent seal)
- pan gasket leaks?
- pan drain (if fitted) leaks.?
- rear gasket to transfer case adapter cracked.
- vac mod o-ring seal #27 bad
- TV "kick-down" detent seal #21 bad
- the 2 right side oil lines to RAD can leak, end to end.
- the top of tranny has a vent, if blocked the tranny will leak every where. ( make sure the vent is clear)
- tranny dip tube base o-ring leaks, id 19
- the tranny vac mod diagram is cracked inside AND the hose to it, is cracked, and now leaks ATF. (so common, its a crime)
- left side pump test port plug leaking.
tell me , did i NAIL it.
every single leak point.
if the inspection cover leaks, then it expands..... tranny out......
btw , not 2 posts ever , for 3L30 had the same leak for the same reason. IIRC. (4 years and lots of email)
so guessing is not going to work. its random.
requiring mech to actually find it.
but Vac mod leak is really not a leak ,its a total failure. and is common.
i think we have 1 each, detent and 1 shift-shaft ever.
the other high fail is poor fitting pan gasket (poor service) " someone broke it"
the transfer case has nothing to do with this.
it uses GL4 lube not ATF
so looking there is a waste of time. for this squawk.
the center case does have a vent on the bottom,
next is a photo of that.
on some years, here is 91
the center dry case looks like this
there is a vent and a drain plug.
that drain plug is just for testing for leaks. after all ATF or GL4 can leak from either seal front or rear to dry case.
see vent here. look careful see drain plug , just below it. ?
my SUZ EPC shows the dry case is the same, 3sp,4sp,5sp, and is married to the transfer case; the tranny uses an adapter to fit 1 dry case design.
4wd not 2wd, (2wd is diffr)
how are are those Apples