I have checked the idler pulley and it will not spin completely. Just about have an inch and then stops. The vehicle is making a strange squelling noise. My question is does the idler pulley need to spin or not. Thanks.
The idler pulley was replaced. To get to it was a pain... I guess for someone that hasn't worked on his own car like this before.
1. Removed the Serpentine belt from the pulleys
2. Remove the Air intake housing and filter.
3. Propped up both sides of the car on jack stands, and propped the engine with a jack and piece of wood under the oilpan to keep the motor from falling.
3. Removed the engine mount bolt on passenger side so we can move the engine a tad to get to the pulley and remove it.
4. Removed the nut on the pulley and replaced the pulley with a Factory part from suzuki. Whopping 80 bucks, but it works. The aftermarket part was not the right part at all. Gates(38010 or something like that)
5. Put everything back...The bolt for the engine mount was somewhat tough to get back in. getting the holes to line up were a pain. That was all. Pulley was replaced, and belt, etc.
The new bearing is great, probably all I would have had to replace, but didn't want more headache. No more turbine engine sound coming from my engine when i would rev to 3000 rpms, Thank God.
2003 Suzuki Aerio SX 2.0 L engine
Car is making a screaming noise. Noise comes and goes. Removed the generator drive belt (serpentine belt), spin everything by hand. Idler pulley is making a squeaky bearing noise. Ordered a new idler pulley from the dealer.
Now I am wondering if the nut on the idler pulley is a reverse thread?
Copy from Service Manual: Generator - Rotation - Clockwise viewed from pulley side.
Should have looked at the rotation direction before I took the serpentine belt off.
Please correct me if I am wrong but it looks like the idler pulley spins counterclockwise. Does that mean counterclockwise to tighten? Clockwise to loosen the nut on the idler pulley? Does the idler pulley nut have reverse threads?
Bad things will happen if I put a 3 foot pipe on the wrench and turn the nut in the wrong direction.
Here is a picture of the serpentine belt from the Service Manual also a scan of page 1-435 in PDF format.
If anyone wants to see some pages from the service manual? I be happy to scan.
Have not tried to get the idler pulley nut off yet.
To find exhaust rattle noise, just listen while the car is running. Find what is rattling and remove it. I have removed assorted sheet metal parts, and a heat guard between the engine and the radiator. Remember a [Don't touch HOT symbol] on it.
xxx The bolt for the engine mount was somewhat tough to get back in. getting the holes to line up were a pain. xxx
Thanks for the instructions. Its all done. I also had trouble putting that long engine mount bolt back in. I used a mirror and a flashlight to look in hole and see which way to yank motor so holes line up.
The AutoGuide.com network consists of the largest network of enthusiast-owned enthusiast-operated automotive communities.
AutoGuide.com provides the latest car reviews, auto show coverage, new car prices, and automotive news. The AutoGuide network operates more than 100 automotive forums where our users consult peers for shopping information and advice, and share opinions as a community.