Suzuki Forums banner

Geo Tracruiser - FJ62 SAS SWAP Advice Please.

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  TrailRizz 
#1 ·
Hello, I am new to this forum and am seeking advice. I have a 93 Tracker, 2dr, 8v, 5spd, 31's, +2 spacer "lift". In the end I want it to have SAS, 33's, dual tcase and Mercedes TD. Can't afford all that yet. As for the present- the stock rear axle is failing, quickly. Don't want to put any more $ into it since I've been planning an axle swap anyway. Have FJ62 axles, steering box, MC, drive shafts, tcase, leafs, hangers, shackles, etc. Trying to find cheapest way to get Rear Axle Only swapped for now. Very limited funds. (I am aware I will lose 4x4 for now) Couldn't find adapter to run my zuk driveshaft bolt pattern to Toyota *9.5"* Axle. I think it may be different than common 8" axle pattern that I found adapters for. I can fabricate and weld the spring mounts, drive shafts, etc myself. Can I use FJ62 leafs if I remove a few? Anybody done that? Flex? I'd rather have YJ's but again no $. Also concerned about 1st gear ratio after change from 5.12 to 4.11 +31's. Any advice would be much appreciated. I need to start swap asap. Thanks for reading my long story. I'm all ears.

#2 ·
If its your DD... downtime is killer. Ih8mud.com is good for cruiser info. You should be able to pull a leaf okay.

As for 31s with 4.11 ratio...its gonna suck. Like riding on 38s with stock gearing kind of suck.

If you can weld the drive shafts... you should be able to make an adapter for the bolt pattern fairly easily out of a round blank.

Curious though... why cruiser axles on a rig this light? Overkill is an understatement. Those things can handle like 37s stock on a 5-6k pound rig if I remember right. Hell, built properly they should make a dana60 wanna run home and cry to mama.

#3 ·
I know the FJ62 axles seem a bit much- but I read alot about different axle swaps and figured if I went for the 9.5" axles I would get away without having to upgrade axle shafts, get more longevity out of bearings+brakes (4 piston calipers!!!), and mainly will give me room to grow. Plus, originaly years ago in the cheaper gas days, I had an indestructible lifted 79 Bronco w 35's. I have had trackers for years now and am basically trying to make a mini bronco. Rugged as hell, reliable, but also small and efficient. I bought a rusting and driving FJ62 for $800, cut it up and have been hoarding the parts in the woods. I need to divorce the nice heavy duty LC Tcase. I want to run it with orig driveshafts when I get around to front axle swap.
Debating if its worth it to go YJ leafs versus keeping yota gear?
Ever heard of an FJ62 Tcase divorce kit?
Would stock sami tcase hi range reduction be enough to compensate for 4.11 axle w 31's?

#4 ·
The rear diff on these things is the toughest part. If on a budget replace with same diff till you can do the rest or more of the rest of the mods. Also putting super heavy rear diff in and then using a sami tcase in the loop seems a bit mad as the sami case would be the weakest link, also would cost $$

#5 ·
Why is the rear axle so tough to change on these rigs? I figured the front with all the steering linkage and what not would be worse to do? Sorry for delayed response- haven't had a chance to do anything to it yet. Been busy doin 2" body lift on my buddy's tracker, and now putting new floors in my brother's house = I'm BEAT. I wonder if it would be worth it to convert to leaf in back and put my spare stock axle in until FJ axle is ready? Rear susp. link bolts are very rusted, removing (with blue wrench) will probably destroy all the bushings. Thank you for responding! I got a few screws loose myself!

#6 ·
Well, looks like I might be changing gears- all of them. Seems like it might be too much work for my hi miles rig to put FJ62 axles in. Im headed to Connecticuit to go look at a Samurai today! :D Its an 88, red, with removeable 1 piece hardtop. I was very surprised to see that it comes with a hardtop. (rare?) I will update later if all goes well. I would think the axle swap would be a lot easier in a sami?

#8 ·
Looks like this will be the end of this thread- Got the samurai and love it. Think this was the right decision. The ol Tracker will have to be sold sadly. Off to the parts store to get clutch, brakes, and basic tune-up stuff for my new 88.5 JX sami! Bought for 1800 with 120xxx miles. Runs good but needs clutch,battery, tires, has little rot. Think this was a good deal? Heres some pics.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.