Suzuki Forums banner

Engine Problems

7K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  murcod 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new to the site as well as owning a XL-7. I just purcased a 2004 with 153k miles on it. from the original owner. I got a good deal on it because it has an engine problem. when running, it makes a loud tapping/banging sound from the upper driver side of the engine and smokes. Upon removing the plugs i noticed the last cylinder on that side had a great deal of oil in it. It almost sounds like a broken rocker arm or valve spring but as far as the oil goes I have no clue:huh: has anyone ever heard of this or experienced this before, and does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas

#2 ·
Nothing short of tearing into it will ID the problem that you've provided the rather vague outward indications of. :(

last cylinder on that side had a great deal of oil in it
On the OUTSIDE of the plug or internal (cylinder) portion?

Valve and / or cam issues? Injector? Timing chain components maybe?

Smokes what (color) and from where? :huh:

Which engine?

And I'll bet that the previous owner has a pretty good idea what is wrong and even estimates to repair. Or he wouldn't have unloaded it.

If you can provide us with some past maintenance (oil change periodicity records for instance) and previous repair effort info, that may help us in determining the problem.

#3 ·
My apologies. Its is a 2.7 Liter V6.
The smoke is white but smells like oil?.
The inside of the cylinder is full of oil.
Yes the previous owner knew of the possible damage and repair cost, but opted to buy a new vehicle for his wife. I also was aware of the possible cost and bought it with the thought of replacing or rebuilding the engine.
It was believed to have spun a bearing but after getting it started that did not seem to be the case.
It was dealer maintained and serviced at the proper intervals.
He stated that he was driving it up a slight grade when he noticed a slight tapping noise that became louder and louder within a few minutes. Then the car began to loose power and he then pulled over and had it towed to a shop, where they told him that he had spun a bearing. but the noise is top end, pan seems quite. and it was full of oil. No metallic color in oil.
When the oil cap is removed while engine is running there seems to be pressure in the crank case, but is this not normal.
I hope this info will help, Its pretty much all I know.

#4 ·
When the oil cap is removed while engine is running there seems to be pressure in the crank case, but is this not normal.
A minimal amount yes, that the PCV system typically pulls it off as vapor to be re-burned. Excessive pressure (blow-by) is cause for major concern.

I'd suspect piston / ring damage at a minimum. Sorry, but you're going to have to open this one up to inspect and hopefully repair it. :(

That, or opt for a good / used replacement engine. All of the info and signs that you've relayed thus far add up to probable damage of significance.

#5 ·
Well Sir you are correct. I just removed the head and found two bad pistons. It looks like the skirts are broken because the have some major wobble. So it looks like its time to start looking for another engine.
The oil that was used must have been some pretty cheap stuff because the inside has a good deal of sludge

#8 ·
Well I lucked out. I just picked up a 2.7 with an automatic and transfer case out of an 05 XL-7 with 38,000 original miles.. Rear ended and put in storage. Fired right up and sounded good. Thank you for all of the help it saved me a lot of time.

#10 ·
Well, I just brought the engine and trans. home. So now i will be getting rid of some of the other parts. Manifolds / Heads / AC comp and the new trans. Its an auto out of a 2005 4x4. i do not have the transfer case. so if anyones interested shoot me an offer. 38,000 miles on the trans according to the odometer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.