Suzuki Forums banner

1990 geo tracker no start, no injector pulse

29K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  bog 
#1 · (Edited)
PLEASE HELP!!90 geo tracker no start, no injector pulse

I have a 1990 geo tracker with the 1.6 5spd 4wd. It turns over fine, has good compression, it is firing the spark plugs, the engine will run as you spray fuel in throttle body. Have checked fuel pressure ant it is with in specs. Tachometer will move up to about 300 rpm when turning engine over with starter, seems like the computer is not sending signal to injector, vehicle was running when it was parked just will not start now cranks over fine.. Have ohmed wires from pcm to injector and both are good. Have checked all fuses under hood and dash and see no problems. I am sure there is something that is causing ecm to shut injector down maybe throttle position sensor or somthing, looking for some advice from someone that has been down this road.

#2 · (Edited)
First, whatever you do, do NOT hotwire the injector.
It would seem that you would want to run a noid test, no?? To see if the injector is getting a pulse signal from the ECU?
testing injection
Have you pulled your plugs after cranking to see if they are wet (flooding). Have you tried to start the car in unflood mode (starting WOT). Does your fuel pump prime (run) for 3 seconds with key on?
More info here:
Cranks-but-no-start

#3 · (Edited)
No i have not tried to hot wire injector, have tried a noid light and it will not pulsate. Yes fuel pump will power up when key is turned on, and will run when engine is being cranked over. Spark plugs are worn a lil but is not fuel fowled. Injector is not working. Will not do the power up nor work when turning engine over.

#4 · (Edited)
I have a 1990 geo tracker with the 1.6 5spd 4wd. It turns over fine, has good compression, it is firing the spark plugs, the engine will run as you spray fuel in throttle body.
Have checked fuel pressure ant it is with in specs. Tachometer will move up to about 300 rpm when turning engine over with starter, seems like the computer is not sending signal to injector, vehicle was running when it was parked just will not start now cranks over fine.. Have ohmed wires from pcm to injector and both are good. Have checked all fuses under hood and dash and see no problems. I am sure there is something that is causing ecm to shut injector down maybe throttle position sensor or something, looking for some advice from someone that has been down this road.
good review btw.
my no start pages covers this for 10 years of motors

ive posted this here 1000 times at least (SSDD)
but 1 more
and will do 1990 special as it is VERY SPECIAL.

1: The ECU dont make spark in 1990 , only the DISTY and coil work as one
stand alone. but....
here are all things that stop injection (besides obvious blown ECU injector driver transistors ) DeAD NOID

2: ECU thinks ( even if good) that spark is bad.?
ECU dont mAKE spark but does MONITOR IT, FOR SURE.
Tacho moving ,should make ECU happy in this regard. Tacho sig = ecu monitor sig !
but not cranking motor with DIAG jumper in PLACE is really missing the boat, why not let ECU talk to you while failing and cranking. save a $100 maybe. huh?

3: last is the TPS Throttle angle POT, wiper getting stuck at near 5v. AKA. WOT. wide open throttle.
this halts all injections.

this is super secret unflood mode.
so if the wiper is 2v, its good, of 0v or 1v ok, but of 4v or above bad. ( the industry std for WOT is 75% ball park) most tps go from 1 to 4v so....

if ECU dont throw code 12, but rather does 41, then dont blame ECU.
41 is ignition fail (yes, even if you have spark for this, it's reality) 41 fail is crash an burn prevention software. required by law.

that is all the ways to kill a NOID. (besides obvious wires , open , corrosion etc)

if all check out then ECU is bad.

nut shell
cut fuel if:
WOT cranking (TPS fail or ground wire cut)
spark read bad dead. DTC 41s cranking.

#5 ·
Info regarding your car (89/90) halfway down this page:
I am sure I have no spark
Basically, put the diagnostic fuse in (same as you would if you were trying to get codes from the ECU), and crank the car. See if the ECU is giving you a code 12 (all is ok) or if, when you are cranking, you get code 41. Even though you actually have spark, if the ECU thinks that you do not, it will cut injection (pulses) to the injector.

#6 ·
5min work and now you know.
its on the no spark and no injection pages. and no start.
one guy had a corroded, ignition suppressor, one more it was loose, one more i fell off.

we mentiond the hot wire thing, because the script kiddies and dweebs on other forums
have that message s 10,000 times to do this act. (the have 1 tract MPI brains)
Friends dont let friends, blow up their ECUs. LOL

#9 · (Edited)
we have no secrets of the inside of any 89/90 ECU..
they are very rare here,
i do know they are easy to fix. but have no samples to help. (photos yes, but i cant touch one..sadly)

that bad transistor IS on the heat sink header. just like a 91

If the Gods of Cobal are happy Q101 and Q102 are bad.

replacing ECU or those DRIVERS , and the injector wires are grounded , the NEW ECU , will blow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.