Suzuki Forums banner

Automatic Transmission Fluid Capacity

41K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  bog 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have a new to me 1994 Suzuki Sidekick 4dr automatic 4x4. I just dropped the trans pan and changed the filter but I am a little confused as the manual and the auto parts store told me around 2.6 quarts to fill. However I am on 4 quarts already and just barely on the dipstick... whats the deal. Also I noticed that there is a small vacuum hose in the engine compartment leading from the front diff and not attached to anything on the other end... what is this?

Thank you for any replies,
Chris

#3 ·
That vent tube should run from the diff up into the engine bay near front of rocker cover and would have had a cap on it. This vent allows the diff to get warm and allow the air in the pumpkin to ebb and flow with the heat changes.

#4 ·
I want to tell you a story about changing tranny fluid in my geo trackers. I would once a year have my mechanic change my tranny fluid in my trackers. He would take the pan off and change the filter- about 3 qts. Well I found out when I took it to real tranny shop and hade them do a tranny service where they actually drain the torque converter and do it right the tranny holds approximately 10 qts. Don`t believe me? Ask the experts.

#5 ·
10 quarts?? You must have a leak somewhere - are you sure it isn't dripping out on the floor??
If you are just draining and refilling the auto tranny (specs for 3 speed), it takes 6 pints (2.8 liters) of tranny fluid. If you are doing an overhaul, it takes 9.7 pints (4.6 liters).

#7 ·
A flush is a totally different animal. I was able to get more than 4 quarts into mine after blowing all the fluid out of the cooler lines.

#8 · (Edited)
its here
depends on methods, and the vents are normal
94 FSM
page 7B17 3L30
2.9Liters pan off
5.1liters OVERHAUL ( every drop gone ,worst case)

1 liters = 1.05668821 US quarts 5.1 x 1.056 = ? ( use 4 banger)

a liter is a tiny tad long quart. LOL!

and btw , casting differences , variances, can change volumes a bit.

#11 ·
Excellent work. Did you make sure the cooler lines were clear?

#13 ·
hmm. I guess it's possible, however I thought it was pretty standard that nearly all auto transmissions had coolers...both my tracker ans Saturn sedan definitely have lines to the radiator. The tracker's lines go right into the bottom of the radiator...

#16 · (Edited)
Hello,
I have a new to me 1994 Suzuki Sidekick 4dr automatic 4x4. I just dropped the trans pan and changed the filter but I am a little confused as the manual and the auto parts store told me around 2.6 quarts to fill.
that will be random. (depends on when and were pump stopped)
the correct way is to get the level perfect
then drain it ,
measure it
and put back fresh what you took out,
or you will have to drain out an overfill (royal PITA) or keep adding. and adding.)
the fluid coupling holds the most , it has no drain
and when you stop engine, pump shuts down and some fluid can drain back to pan, how much is random). this is not a gear box or axle
it's a slush pump.

However I am on 4 quarts already and just barely on the dipstick... whats the deal. Also I noticed that there is a small vacuum hose in the engine compartment leading from the front diff and not attached to anything on the other end... what is this?

Thank you for any replies,
Chris
the deal,is you needed to read the FSM
they show 3 quantities.
drain pan (can vary)
drain pan and clutch.
or overhaul dry..
your quantity can vary.
and the casing sizes can vary on all boxes and axles.
and sizes vary by productions runs. 20years here.
but what is the point, ? drain it and measure it. what can be simpler?

see here.
Ack's FAQ 1996 Geo Tracker Factory Service Manual

does this help?
see all those many places for ATF to hide. its huge areas.
see pink dots, what drains back is INDETERMINATE.

#19 · (Edited)
let me be clear!
do not over fill the tranny
that means putting back what you took out. within 1/3 quart. (liter)
if you just do this willy nilly, that is crazy. (but running way low and overfilling and foaming the ATF up, way bad....)

1: make sure the tranny is at the full mark hot, before for you do anything.!
2: then drain it and measure what came out.
3: lets say you got 3qt.
4: next change filter and gasket . ( I save 4/5 qt , Delo oil JUGS just to measure ATF)
5: i then put back that pan
6: i added just shy ( of 3qt, 2-2/3rd qt in this case.) see why?

7: i start car and warm it up, and check level HOT per FSM after following the simple instructions, in op guide (free) or FSM , this gets out all the air by cycling gears.
8: i then top off carefully..

if you frack it up, then buy a inboard (boat shop) crank case oil pump (tool) 12vdc.
and pump it down thru the dip stick hole.
or be rocket fast on pulling the drain, (no way) YMMV.

i drain mine every 3rd engine oil change, doing exactly this procedure.
it works every time. and i dont need to fiddle around guessing.
and keep lots of extra ATF so i dont need to drive to store 5 times.

never do the DIY , full flush with engine running or risk serious tranny damage. dont say i didnt warn you... Hope it all works out perfect.

you could take it to Jiffyboobs
and they will drain it and then blast in ATF with an AIR GUN
and frack it up for you.
but dont.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.