Suzuki Forums banner

Transfer case fluid what kind?

63K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Max 
#1 ·
Ok before the flaming starts about search function, I already did this and read through lots of posts and did not find the answer. So, got a 2002 tracker 2.0 5 speed 4x4. What fluid for the Transfer case? Manual I think states the same as transmission, which should be some kind of syncro type? So I got Royal Purple Syncro transmission fluid. This right? Thanks.

#2 ·
I guess your problem is not knowing how to "phrase your search", because I've answered this question before, so I KNOW there are answers out there.

Royal Purple is a brand - the brand is of little relevance and can be considered personal preference (I use Mobil1 Synthetic if it matters), what is relevant is the weight of the oil (75w90) and the type (GL4), both of which are stated in the manual - there's actually a chart that allows I believe three different weights depending on temperature, but 75w90 runs from the low temp up to a reasonable figure.

Let's talk about GL4 and GL5 oils now as GL4 oils can be quite difficult to find.

GL5 oils are intended for use with hypoid gears such as those found in a differential and contain more extreme pressure (EP) additives than a GL4 - note that word - more - GL4 oils contain EP additives, but not as much as a GL5.

Some GL5 oils use sulphur as an additive and use of such an oil in a manual transmission or transfer case may destroy the brass synchros - other GL5 oils are "yellow metal friendly" and will not cause problems and may be used in a transmission/transfer case safely.

So - is your royal purple the right weight and the right type?

#3 ·
Thanks. So what would be a proper phrase or word for this kind of search? How about a sticky where all the lubes and other common maintenance items are listed especially in a de-coded fashion. Especially seeing how GM likes to use their own terminology. Like next on the list will be replacement brake rotors. Are there any better ones that don't seem to wear out so fast? I've never owned a vehicle whose brake rotors wear out as fast as these do.]
Anyway,
I usually use Mobil 1 or Amsoil but seem to have a hard time finding Amsoil here. So I found Royal Purple Synchromax which is what Royal Purple has on their web site as the cross reference for this gen Tracker/Vitara. So, I am guessing this is the right stuff.

#4 ·
If Suzuki recommended Royal Purple Synchromax or Royal Purple provided more detail on their datasheet - then maybe - but without that, not in my transmission or transfer case.

From their datasheet ...

Synchromax™ is recommended for manual transmissions that specify an automatic transmission fluid or motor oil. It is also ideal for 4x4 transfer cases and / or 2-cycle motorcycle gear boxes
Suzuki specifies neither automatic transmission fluid nor motor oil for their transmissions & transfer cases - what they specify is a heavier 75w90 oil - but - it's your transfer case, not mine ...

Just a suggestion - Royal Purple also markets conventional gear oils, for example their Max Gear PS - have a look at the data sheets for the two oils - you'll find that the SynchroMax is a much lighter oil that the 75w90 recommended by SUzuki.

#5 ·
Isn't the fluid for the 5 speed suppose to be specific for brass syncro gears? Transfer case I don't know why you can't use normal gear oil. I know my Toyota's call for normal gear oil for the transmission/transfer case.
If you check the cross reference page on Royal Purple it calls for Royal Purple Syncromax for this gen Tracker/Vitara. For the gen 1 it calls for the other style gear oil.?? I did not find the leak that I thought I had at the front output shaft of the transfer and the fluid level was still good so I did not change the seal/oil. I checked my transmission and found it dark so I drained it and got alot of fine metal dust on the magnet and a bigger chunk or two:-( I replaced two bearings in the transmission last year, so I don't know what's going on. Maybe I messed up the install or I could not tell that the other remaining bearings where bad after all. I will change the fluid again in a couple of months and see what I find.

#6 ·
What would you consider "normal gear oil"?
Is it different to oil specific for "brass synchro gears"?
By the way - in a Tracker, it's brass synchro rings - and whilst a first gen Tracker does not have synchro rings in the transfer case, the second gen Tracker does.

I would think there's an easy way around all of this - you get the owner's manual or the service manual for the vehicle, and you see what the manufacturer specifies - in this case it's a 75w90 GL4 for both the 5 speed manual transmission and the transfer case.

#8 ·
So - the question now becomes ...
- is Royal Purple Synchromax equivalent to GM Synchromesh?

I don't drive a Tracker, I drive a GrandVitara - same vehicle, different badge - I have the owner's manual and factory service manual from my GV - 75w90 GL4 is what's recommended, and based on Royal Purple's data sheets, Syncromax is a lot lighter lubricant.

#13 ·
Did Tracker's/Vitara's use different MT transmissions? Synchromesh or 75W90 gear oil?

Brief details on why I'm asking... I want to change my transmission fluid in my 2000 Tracker (2.OL, 4x4, 5spd with 44K miles), because the transmission is really notchy and sometimes grinds when I down shift to 2nd or upshift to 4th. Sometimes it's a bit tough to get into 1st, 2nd & reverse gears, without shifting into 3rd or 4th first. The clutch seems to be grabbing fine, I haven't experienced any slipping or clutch smell and the grab point is near the top.

I've been searching, and ran a across this post, which recommends checking clutch pedal free play and possibly replacing the clutch MC. Which I will do, but first I want to change the oil as I don't believe it has ever been changed!

Here's where my original question comes into play. I downloaded a 2002 Tracker Owner's Manual before buying my Tracker and they recommend Synchromesh (GM# 12345349 or equivalent fluid), but when I look at my 2000 Tracker's Owner's Manual, it recommends 75W90 gear oil (GM# 12346190 or equivalent fluid). So there are two things I could think of, Suzuki/GM decided to use a different transmission for later model years OR they realized their transmission worked better with Synchromesh? Anyone ever use Synchromesh in a 1999-2000 Tracker? I wonder if the 2000 vs 2002 Vitara manual's also recommend different fluids?

Please, someone give me some input! My friend thinks it's the latter of my two thoughts...

#14 · (Edited)
We (for the most part) only talk and know Suzuki's around here and go by their (Service Manual) Bible...

GL-5 (Hypoid gear oil) in the differentials
GL-4 Manual Transmission gear oil in the trans and x-fer case.

Viscosity range varies with the vehicle usage / climate.

So, as long as you stay with-in the GL grade type per application and factor in your operating temperature range you are golden.

I'd recommend a good synthetic such as Redline too!. ;)

On your transmission operation issues...it sounds like clutch and / or clutch operating problems, particularly with the difficulty you having are getting into gears. :(

#15 ·
I should've figured, being on a Suzuki board and all...

Redline MT90, I know the Toyota MR2 guys live by that! I'll look into that. My friend was suggesting mixing some synchromesh with regular gear oil. I'll look further into this...

Yeah, I'm not really sure what the problem is, all I know is that the previous owner told me the engine was removed to replace the oil pan due to the local lube shop stripping the drain bolt. I'll start with the easy stuff first and work my way to the hard stuff.... Hopefully, I don't have to replace the clutch!

#16 · (Edited)
I'd start with a clutch hydraulic system "bleed" and go from there. ;)

You should have no more than about a 1/2" of free play at the top of the pedal and a smooth solid feeling of pedal movement all the way down and back.

Most of us just don't have the Tracker "pubs" so it's hard to help with specifics sometimes, like in the different oil recommendations or their compatibilities. BUT, a lot of the systems and components are identical.

#20 ·
sorry to necropost, but it seemed far more logical than a new thread.

um, is there any advantage over using a GL4 specific fluid over a fluid that works on "GL4 and GL5 applications"?

Vehicle: 2003 Suzuki Vitara (basemodel) 4x4 4-door 4-cylinder with 5-speed.

Now for my transmission and transfer case, is "Royal Purple Max-Gear Synthetic Gear Oil 75W90" ideal?

"Royal Purple's Max-Gear is an ultra-tough, high-performance, GL-4 and GL-5 automotive gear oil..."

According to Royal Purple, the Max-Gear will work for anything (diff, transfer case, transmission).. right?

I found someone online (not Suzuki related) say: "Royal Purple Max Gear made my transfer case fail to engage 4wd. This was in warm weather, testing it immediately following the refill...just a flashing 4hi light on my dash. Tried it sitting still, while moving, no dice. Drained and refilled with Mobil-1 75W-90 and it was good to go." so I want to be particularly careful.

#21 ·
The difference between a GL4 and a GL5 oil is the level of EP (extreme pressure) additives - GL5 oils have more additives.

There was a point in time when sulphur was one of the EP additives used, and if a GL5 oil with sulphur was used in any transmission with brass or bronze, the sulphur would destroy the brass/bronze - and for this reason GL5 oils are not recommended in these transmissions.

Newer GL5 oils do not use sulphur and can be used without problems - these oils are the ones that will be branded as meeting GL4 & GL5 specs.

The transfer case on the 99~05 Grand Vitaras has a syncho ring on the front output clutch, hence the recommendation for a GL4 oil, you can use any oil that meets GL4 spec or says it is safe for use with "yellow" metals.

My personal preference is the MobilOne full synthetic 75W90, which is actually a GL5.

#22 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.