Suzuki Forums banner

Which engines are interference?

36K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  kick_fix 
#1 ·
I want to put this to bed once and for all. Are the 1.3 and 1.6 interference engines and the 1.8 and 2.0 non interference engines?

#2 ·
you ask alot ! see that list?, that is huge number of motors , 11 years. and chain and belt cams.
I4, V6, and 8v and 16valves , and 24valves.(v6) wow?
so do you think anyone on earth knows the answer to the below , or for all 93 world wide markets.
your kidding , right?

most 8v are free running, not all.
most 16v are interference ( in N.America)
Some 16v are free-running ( rumor) some of the below markets (countries all have diff smog rules. see?)

I have no idea at all how many chain drive Cams are free running.
but. who in their right mind would drive any chain cam in to the ground (pounding away ) and what if it snaps and jams?
what then? To me the chain question is a moot point. there will be $$$ damage , how much is not an issue.
fix it , as soon at it starts talking to you.

I have posted. over and over. that if you have a 4 valve per cylinder motor and is not interference , than by all means
post your market code. so we can all learn. So far no posters. not here.
I'd do the PN look up and see how many motors used this cam world wide.

One smart bu++ said his 16v car is not interference and said i was full of it. on another forum.
but reading his profile , i discovered his motor was custom built with after market pistons and cam.
Funny that is. huh?

#3 ·
I know my motor is a interference motot but on one of the other suzuki sites they claim that it's non interference. My wife drives a 2000 tracker and a couple of years ago it threw the timing chain at 80,000 miles and yes it was cranked many times after the break at the time. It cost me an arm and a leg to fix it because there were very few after market parts at that time. But the fact is after it was cranked there was no valve damage and runs fine up to this day which leads me to believe it's non interference or I was extremely lucky and the chain jammed in such a way that all valves were clear.

#4 ·
Post the other site and i will answer in detail.

Not all countries run the same cam. Nothing more needs to be known but that fact.

i just looked now at Mitchell's. (pub. lib.walk in, and look)
cam shaft removal section. 2.0L. 4 cylinder.
it says.
rotate crankshaft 90Deg. to prevent interference between valves and pistons
that be USA cars only. USA pub. lib. mine has chiltons, Mitchells. and Alldata.
just look. its free. (prop. tax paid)

#7 ·
Cam type , lift. overlap and duration and timing , all effect interference.
as does deck height and head gasket thickness.

as does.
country, market ,model, motor, and Smog rules in your location.

Some countries order Economy cams. for there imported cars. ( smart ones?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.