Adding a third row seat in an XL7 - Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site
Suzuki Forum Suzuki Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > Suzuki Vitara, Grand Vitara & XL-7 Forum (1999+) > 1G (2001-2006) XL-7
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

Suzuki-Forums.com is the premier Suzuki Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2007, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
jjxl7 is on a distinguished road
Default Adding a third row seat in an XL7

I recently purchased a 2002 XL7 for 45,000 Miles. It apparently does not have the third row seat as being purchased as an option. It has rather what seems to be a large slab of Styrofoam or something along those lines, covered with original factory cloth carpeting, and cargo latches. While I love the roomy rear interior, a third row seat is definately needed because my kids get restless on long trips, and need the space.
I have looked into purchasing an after-market third row seat, but I dont know how it would be possible to bolt into the original styrofoam slab installed by the factory. This makes no sense.

Does anyone have any advice as to how one could take an XL7 without the factory third row seat option, and convert it into a third row seat model? any advice would be greatly appreciated
jjxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2007, 05:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ashan01suzi7 is on a distinguished road

I'm not so sure if's a direct replacement thing b/c of seat belts and what not but surly if you take the cargo portion out it should fit right in.
Ashan01suzi7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2007, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

jjxl7 is on a distinguished road

I wonder if it is possible to pull out the factory foam block, and find a used XL7 rear seat and somehow make it work....
jjxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2007, 08:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ashan01suzi7 is on a distinguished road

I guess you could do that, check at your local wreckers if they have a XL-7 in stock, i'm sure they will sell you one
Ashan01suzi7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2007, 09:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
evo

evo is on a distinguished road

You should be able to remove the foam fillers & bolt in an OEM 3rd row seat & belts without a problem. I helped a friend to the same to his car a couple years ago.
evo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2007, 09:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

gadzuksxl7 is on a distinguished road

funny, i am looking into removing my third row seats to install a home made platform(i didnt know my xl7 had a 2 row option) i will look into the stock set up, you couldnt post a photo of it maybe? i work in the auto recycling business and have not yet seen a xl7 with only 2 rows.and we have had lots.the third row is almost useless to us and the extra cargo space that is level would be great,the third row seats when laid flat are not even close to flat, they slope back towards the rear gate and all the groceries or whatever you put back there tends to greet you when you open the gate.its a PITA and very tight for space.
gadzuksxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2007, 11:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran

murcod is on a distinguished road

Has anyone got a pic of an XL-7 that hasn't got the rear seats? I reckon there would be a lot of extra space to be had by removing that silly storage tray thing inside the rear door and the rear seats in total.

JJXL7 you'd want to possibly get the rear side trims and seat belts from a proper 7 seat version as well if you were going to convert yours. Unless your rear trim has the holes blanked where the belt top mount bolts into?

Last edited by murcod; 11-30-2007 at 11:29 PM.
murcod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

mqaisi is on a distinguished road
Default Problem installing 3rd row seat

Hi everyone,

I know it's been while since the last post here, but you might have information that could help me installing a 3rd row seat to my 2004 XL7.

The biggest problem I face is the metal plugs into the bolt holes; the seat is supposed to be bolted into these plugged holes. Does anyone have information about removing the plugs?

Thanks in advance for helping.
mqaisi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

karen1a22 is on a distinguished road

Hi there

Just wondered if you managed to install the third row seat into your Suzuki xl7?

I just bought one thinking it had 7 seats and its only got 5 so was wondering if it was possible to add the third row?
karen1a22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2014, 02:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

tshawgreatlakes is on a distinguished road
Default 3rd seat

I have a XL7 that I took the rear seat out of. There are brackets welded to the rear floor that the seat is mounted to and the rear shoulder belts mount inside the rear walls and come out of slots in the rear trim. You would have do to a lot of modification to make it work. It may not be safe to try this and probably expensive to do it right. TShaw
tshawgreatlakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > Suzuki Vitara, Grand Vitara & XL-7 Forum (1999+) > 1G (2001-2006) XL-7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.