Diagnostic Port - Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site
Suzuki Forum Suzuki Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > Suzuki Vitara, Grand Vitara & XL-7 Forum (1999+) > 1G (2001-2006) XL-7
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

Suzuki-Forums.com is the premier Suzuki Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2007, 05:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior

Gallery: 0
julesvreug is on a distinguished road
Garage
Default Diagnostic Port

Hi,

I recently purchased a Scangauge II which is a Trip computer, diagnostic scan tool, Gauge display and Service light reseter.

It uses the OBDII protocol and after reading the service manual
found at www.suzukiinfo.com/vitara
It says it uses the ISO format, and checked all the pin digrams and all is ok.

Yet i cant get it to connect and i know it works as tested it on another car.

The manual says you can use a generic scan tool to read codes.
I also know you can send data through the K line etc to for remaping computer, adding in new imobiliser key codes etc.

Has anyone had success in connecting a scan tool to the OBDII port and is there anything i should know?

Ive asked suzuki he said hes still trying to find it out, but i guess they can only tell me as much as there service manuals which i already have has..

By the way i have tested the conector and all wires are ok.
julesvreug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2007, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

zbeast is on a distinguished road

I had mine checked by a generic tester and it worked. It did have an option for US or Japanese manufacture but I can't remember which option we chose to get it to work. I'm getting the AFR tested next week at the same shop so I'll get my mate to check for any codes again and let you know.
zbeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2007, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran

murcod is on a distinguished road

My scanner won't connect to my 2004 2.7l XL-7 - comes up with a communications error. It's a top of the range scanner that's supposedly compatible with all the current standards including CAN Bus.

I've tested it on five other vehicles and it connects on all of them except the XL-7.
murcod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2007, 03:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior

Garage

ive asked suzuki about it, they dont have a answer.

Aparently from what ive been told and whether its true or not, that some models use a GM language which is in between OBD1 and OBD2.

But reading the manual and looking at the port and pin diagram its appears to be using the standard asian ISO format.

So it baffles me why scan tools cant connect.

I may end up getting a laptop adapter and use software to figure it all out, maybe even remap the computer
Old 05-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

RobM is on a distinguished road

Did you ever get this working? I'm thinking of buying the ScanGaugeII for my XL-7.
RobM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 12:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Stokes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesvreug View Post
Hi,

I recently purchased a Scangauge II which is a Trip computer, diagnostic scan tool, Gauge display and Service light reseter.

Has anyone had success in connecting a scan tool to the OBDII port and is there anything i should know?
If by "scan tool" you mean an OBDII code reader, I just purchased an Innova 3100 for $99 at Wal*Mart two days ago. Works like a charm on my 2004 XL-7. It also works great on my 2005 Lexus 330 and my 1996 GMC Safari Van. Be sure the plug is fully seated in the connector. On my tool, you know it is connected when it starts up. You have to start with the ignition turned off and turn it to the "on" position to actually read the codes. (You do not run the engine while reading the codes.) I realize that a trip computer would have to function while the engine is running, but I would imagine that the code reading part should still be done while the engine is off.

The ScanGaugeII website says that it comes with a "30 day unconditional money back guarantee!!" So it would seem like you can try it risk free.

As a side note: If you want trip information or digital gauge functionality this looks like a neat gadget. But, if you want engine diagnostics, this device doesn't even come close to the code reader I bought. The screen displays the explanation of the code as well as the code value. Multiple codes can be displayed by scrolling through each one. You can even hook my unit to a computer and get a full report of the diagnostic information. So, it really comes down to what you want to do with this thing.
Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 03:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran

Great to see someone has had some luck, .

Next question - do the Jap models like mine and Jules use the same ECU / OBDII protocol as the USA made versions?

I have heard of people getting Scan Guage II's working by disconnecting certain wires on the OBDII ports (but on other make vehicles.) I wonder if the same mod might fix the connection issues some of us are getting?

2004 XL-7 Limited + 2011 Kizashi Touring.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Stokes is on a distinguished road

David,

With regard to OBDII codes/protocols, there is a definite difference between GM/Ford products and all others (Chrysler following the European and Asian standards). The best/quickest explanation is here: On-board diagnostics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . This article gives the actual pin differences in the various standards. Then you have to add in the fact that the coding scheme allows for both generic/universal and manufacturer specific codes. So, it takes a fair amount of sophistication in the "reader" device to sort all this out. The unit I purchased seems to handle all this quite well (at least on the vehicles I mentioned).

While I have no personal experience with ScanGaugeII, I would suspect that it is probably not rigged to take all these different issues into consideration. At this point it would probably take a call to their customer service to find out what specific vehicles this unit works with.

Hope this helps,
Bob
Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2008, 05:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior

Garage

Hey,

after lots of seaching for what protocol the xl7 uses i found that its KWP 2000

Apparently this protocol allows you to reprogram the ECU

As long as the scan tool supports KWP 2000 it should support the XL7
Old 05-16-2008, 12:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran

Mine's compatible with KWP2000 but doesn't work. http://www.uiftech.com/productInfo.j...D=17&intPage=1

"Try before you buy" is really the only safe bet.

Actually I just noticed the latest models are "updateable over the internet" and come with an extra cable..... I've just sent off an Email to the place I bought mine off to try and get the cable so I can update mine! Then it might work?

2004 XL-7 Limited + 2011 Kizashi Touring.

Last edited by murcod; 05-16-2008 at 01:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > Suzuki Vitara, Grand Vitara & XL-7 Forum (1999+) > 1G (2001-2006) XL-7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.