Diagnostic Port - Page 2 - Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site
Suzuki Forum Suzuki Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > Suzuki Vitara, Grand Vitara & XL-7 Forum (1999+) > 1G (2001-2006) XL-7
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

Suzuki-Forums.com is the premier Suzuki Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008, 11:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran

Gallery: 0
murcod is on a distinguished road

Jules, did you ever get the Scangauge working? I'm still hunting for a compatible option for connecting via the OBDII port but don't want to end up with another useless device that won't connect.

2004 XL-7 Limited + 2011 Kizashi Touring.
murcod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2008, 02:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran

Some more info- I ended up purchasing one of those Ebay cheap ELM 327 V1.2A interfaces for use with a laptop.

Once again, it won't connect to my XL-7. It works fine on the wife's Mazda 6 and has some functionality on a Renaultsport Clio (- but hasn't picked up a logged coolant sensor fault I know about.)

Old 07-31-2008, 06:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran

I've continued "head butting the brick wall" and have all but given up now:
Quote:
Hi David,

Unfortunately your Suzuki is not OBDII compliant. The important lines in your log file are listed below.

31 0100 55:22.251

32 SENT READ PIDS_0x20 55:22.251

33 SEARCHING... - OBDParse 55:25.566

34 NO DATA - OBDParse 55:25.566

35 SECS HAVE ELAPSED 55:36.251

Line 31, is where OBD 2007 sends the command 0100. At that point the Elm chip starts searching for the correct protocol for your vehicle . However on line 34, the Elm chip reports NO DATA from that command. Note it searched for approximately 2.5 secs. The rest of the log file can be ignored as OBD 2007 automatically resets and tries again with the same result.

On a successful connection, the log file would have shown a response on line 34, by listing the supported pids of your vehicle. It would have looked something like the following.

31 0100 23:35.093

32 SENT READ PIDS_0x20 23:35.093

33 SEARCHING... - OBDParse 23:35.421

34 41 00 BF BE B9 91 23:35.421

35 READING PIDS_0x20 23:35.421

36 41 00 80 10 80 00 23:35.421

37 READING PIDS_0x20 23:35.421

38 0120 23:35.421

39 SENT READ PIDS_0x40 23:35.421

40 41 20 80 00 00 00 23:35.578

All OBDII software should work in a similar way, therefore there is no point trying different software packages because they will all fail to connect if they are trying to connect to a non OBDII compliant vehicle. The US versions of the vehicle will be OBDII compliant, because all vehicles in the US have been compliant since 1996.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me again. To see OBD 2007 in action, you will have to connect to an OBDII compliant vehicle.

Regards

Graham

That's info from the guys at OBD 2007 who are an Aussie based company. I tried their demo software with no luck.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

jackollila is on a distinguished road

Can anyone tell me where the OBDII scan port is located on my 2004 XL-7? I've been searching this forum for the location but have not found it yet.

Thanks!
jackollila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran

Have a look on the driver's side under the dash- near the centre console side.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #16 (permalink)

jackollila is on a distinguished road

Yes, I found it! Under the dash near the center console. I assumed it would be yellow and easy to spot like my other vehicles. It's black and some light would have helped. Thanks.
jackollila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior

julesvreug is on a distinguished road
Garage

Its been ages since ive been on here.

and have read the comments.

Some say that the car isnt OBDII Complient but only OBDI

The signals are on pin 5 & 7

I tried a Volo performance ECU remaper, it recodnises the protocol fine, downloads the map and talks to the ECU just fine.

My car was built in Japan, so If the Volo recognises it as ISO why cant scan tools?

Tried a ELM get data but cant recognise the protocol, Noticed in 4and5 where shorted together, moved pin 15 to 5, still the same as pin 15 should be the signal, but on this car I had to ground it to pin 5.

Now looking for a OBDI/OBDII scanner. Or at least the diagnostic cable under the hood.

Anyone else other than Mucrod and myself had difficulties with the OBD port in AUS?
julesvreug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 05:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran

Does the Volo do diagnostic stuff as well?

It might be a case of the OBDII software side of things not being set up in the Aussie models- so they don't talk the right language that a scan tool is looking for?

Edit- what Volo device were you using? http://yhst-19807630266082.stores.yahoo.net/
All the stuff on that site looks a bit suss to me..... and there doesn't appear to be anything for downloading ECU maps?

Last edited by murcod; 03-29-2010 at 05:38 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior

julesvreug is on a distinguished road
Garage

Hi mucrod been a long time... ,

No the volo doesnt diagnose, just reads and modifies u really have no idea whats it doing besides some flashing lights.

I have the FS2-HHO fuel economy wise hasnt done a thing, but i think my o2 sensors are stuft hence why i want to check the ecu.

I know the volo does something as first it takes a minute after resetting the volo to calibrate itself then every few seconds the data light flashes, it never has had any read errors which would be shown by flashing the lights a certain way. Also i mainly got the volo to run e85, upon first filling up the car ran like it had a potato in the exhaust, after reseting the volo and letting it calibrate to the new fuel, the car ran normal had quite a bit more power, noticed when the wheels span when taking off, QUITE A BIT MORE POWER but the fuel ecomomy was shocking ran out of fuel 5 ks out of robe only got 330ks out of the tank, but i didnt have the flexfuel kit installed just relying on the Volos remapping capabilities of detecting the extra octain.

So i do belive it does work.
I am waiting on the vp12 chip so ill do a quick swap over of the processor that contains the firmware and test the power difference.

Volo said the car is ISO i beleive it is to, but i think the ecu is protected, eg it needs to be woken up and match a few paramiters before it talks to any scantool, and ive read that its part of protocol to protect the ecu from easily being remaped with out certain codes to meet gov regulations with emisions.

Im gona crack it sometime. I have a cpu level programing and advanced electronics degree, i havent used it for 10 years but it kinda helps to understand. Just wish i had the money to buy the test equipment so i can check the output wave and work out what the ecu is doing.

I have a feeling a vag/kwp2000 scan tool cable from chinavasion may do the trick, im playing around with the elm325 resoldering wires etc, when i get anoyed with the elm ill move onto something else, chinavasion seems to have alot that may help, and once figured out ill be working out how to have a inbuilt diagnostic system, eg DVD/GPS/CAR diag system. So i can check fuel consumption etc etc.

Its just a hobby, so im not really bothered how long it takes been on and off for 2 years so far if it wasnt for the port being not standard i would have had it all done by now :P

Last edited by julesvreug; 03-29-2010 at 06:34 AM.
julesvreug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 06:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran

It has been a while.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesvreug View Post
Volo said the car is ISO i beleive it is to, but i think the ecu is protected, eg it needs to be woken up and match a few paramiters before it talks to any scantool, and ive read that its part of protocol to protect the ecu from easily being remaped with out certain codes to meet gov regulations with emisions.
If that was the case I'd be thinking the US models would be locked down - and they aren't. I think Suzuki Japan have just used their own diagnostic codes (because it wasn't mandated in Australia that they couldn't until 2006) to prevent losing business to "backyard mechanics". Or, they already had factory tools out that read whatever it talks and it was easier to just use the same format to save dealers needing new tools? There could be many reasons.

One thing I have been meaning to do is try to get the late model US model wiring for the ECU to diagnostic port and compare the wiring to how our Aussie models are wired. But I haven't got my hands on the wiring diagrams for a post 2004 model XL-7 yet.

How does that Volo chip get wired into your vehicle? That would give me a better idea on what it could be capable of- it's easy to make a box with flashing lights as you'd know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site > Suzuki Models > Suzuki Vitara, Grand Vitara & XL-7 Forum (1999+) > 1G (2001-2006) XL-7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.