Suzuki Forums banner

Engine stalls after battery disconnected

41K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Joseanevo 
#1 ·
Hello Folks,

I searched this forum looking for past posts about this but I couldn't find nothing. This one is very common situation, but can't find documentation for Suzukis.

Last saturday I replaced oil, oil filter, spark plugs and K&N air filter to my 06 GV, 2.0 manual. After looking at the air filter compartment I decided to do full clean on this part. I disconnected the battery completely while I was cleaning the whole thing. The battery lasted about 4 hours disconnected.

When I reconnected the battery, the car started normally but it was unable to sustain the idle speed. I kept depressed the accelerator pedal until the engine was warm but the car still kept stalling.

I read this is a normal behavior AFTER changing battery and a short trip will help the idle memory to "learn" to keep the engine running on idle, but the question is: is there any normal PROCEDURE to restore idle memory back to normal? I rode the car sunday about 20 minutes and then today (monday) about 45 minutes but the car keep stalling. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Sorry, I don't have any information on how to "restore the idle memory back to normal". I haven't heard that it is necessary.

My first thought might be the new spark plugs you installed. Bad plugs or mis-gapped plugs might cause a stalling situation. Also, loose or bad plug wires might cause a stall. Although a misfire is more likely than a complete stall.

Most stalling situations are caused by a lack of fuel or a lack of air. Plugged fuel filters will cause a stall at idle but allow the engine to run slowly at a larger throttle openings. Plugged air filters can stall an engine too, but they have to be severely closed off for this occur. Your newly cleaned K&N wouldn't cause this.

Sorry I can't be of more help. If you sort out the "restore idle memory back to normal" business, let us know.

#4 ·
I'm not aware of this "re-learn" theory in as such, the computer being disconnect from the battery should at least return the system to it's default settings and allow it to run adequately while it re-sampled and set new parameters. I'm guessing that you didn't re-connect a sensor or some how damaged wiring OR a sensor.

Any codes coming up on a scan? :huh:

#5 ·
OR possibility of over-oiling the K&N filter and the oil got into your airflow sensor and got it damaged. I recalled someone ever highlighting this somewhere.

OR try checking your cat converters. Got mine removed as it was clogged after cleaning my engine with an engine cleaner spray....which burned the elements. :(

Ciao!

#7 ·
Folks,

Many thanks for your replies and ideas about this issue. I already booked an inspection with my local dealer to check this issue. I'll change (not related to the stalling issue) my engine drive belt while been there.

I think 3 days of driving shall be enough to restore "idle memory" if any.

I'm afraid I (hope not) messed with the MAF and IAT sensors. Reading the manual, it say you don't have to clean these, but I did it. I removed them and saw these were clogged with some dark smog and I cleaned them. Not sure if this damaged the sensors, but it's the only different procedure I did. I'll recheck the spark plugs (the service manual at page 1A-55 tells you to check first spark plugs when improper engine idling).

I'm getting a scan tool reader to check what's going on with my GV. I'll keep you posting how this ends.

-MJ

#8 ·
After reading your last post, I'm pretty sure you have damaged the MAF sensor.

You did not say how you cleaned the sensor, but I am guessing you actually physically touched it. That should never be done, there are specialized spray cleaners for cleaning the dirt and carbon off the hot wire, if that is the problem. latif is correct as well, over oiling the K&N filter can contaminate the hot wire and damage the sensor. I do not know what kind of MAF sensor the GV uses, but most modern MAF sensors pre-heat the wire to a high temperature just before the vehicle is started to clean off any contaminants. That is why they don't need to be cleaned separately.

Unfortunately, this is an expensive part.

#9 ·
Ok amigos, problem solved.

1. Situation; car stalls at idle after battery disconnected for more than 5 hours. MAF and IAT cleaned manually (no carb cleaner used) and K&N air filter oiled per the instructions. Spark plugs brand new, oil and oil filter brand new. After battery reconnected, car stalls miserably at idle. All other gears (1, 2, 4, etc.) work fine. Driven more than 4 days to allow computer to relearn idle params.

2. Correction (at the Suzuki dealer):

a. A routine check with suzuki scanner didn't show any error condition or freeze frame.
b. Spark plugs were checked and calibrated to correct specs. Car still stalls at idle.
c. K&N air filter was discarded and a new original suzuki air filter was used. Car keep idle but with irregular shaking.
d. The air intake system was cleaned with carb cleaner (suspected to have K&N oil particles around). Car idle normally.

3. The bill: $122.00 (including engine drive belt replacement, air filter and carb cleaner.)

CONCLUSIONS: it seems the K&N air filter was doing some harm to my engine. Maybe I over oiled the filter, maybe the filter was slowly (and through the years) clogging the system, maybe is not meant to last 50,000 km., etc. My cleaning of the MAF and IAT sensors didn't damage them, they were working fine. The idle memory is erased by disconnecting the battery, but it is relearn relatively quick on a GV 2006.

Now I'm happy again :). End of the story.

#10 ·
... let me have a crack at this one.
Msolano it was your fault. You contaminated the MAF sensor so the car would not idle. No worries ... stuff happens ...

HOW TO GET OUT OF / AVOID SUCH

1. AVOID: No prob with the K & N filter. Remember that when you reoil the filter you must take your time and use the oil drop by drop. It diffuses through the filter material very well. Put a few drops on (after cleaning) and wait about 10 minutes. If there are any white spots then add s few drops more to those spots.
Don't let the size of the filter oil container fool you - there is enough in the K&N filer recharge kit to oil several thousand filters !!!
The first time i reoiled one of these (many years ago) it went a bit too far ... and had a small pool of oil at the bottom of my air box.

2. FIX: So you contaminated your MAF sensor ... Firstly, never try any mechanical cleaning: Qtips and air guns are a no-no (save for "experts"). What always worked for me is to swish it around in a cup of ordinary rubbing alcohol for about 2 minutes. Take it out and gently shake off the remaining alcohol. NO CLOTHS! Now rinse it with some deionized water and shake it off again. Leave it in a warm place to dry NO HAIR DRYERS! Pray ... then put it back into the car. Total cost < $1

#11 ·
Hi Ginegog, you're absolutely right; it was my fault. And thanks for sharing your experience.

Giving a second thought to my post, I probably gave a negative feedback about the K&N filter. It was not the idea of my post. Let me say something: I have been using a K&N filter for the past two years without any problems at all. I just wanted to share with you my experience and let you know what happened in my situation.

Saludos!!!

#12 ·
Simple solution here,go to your local auto parts and pick up a can of TB Cleaner then disconnect the battery, clean up the TB without opening the Butterfly you can damage it if you opened it, then reconnect battery back and insert key and turn it to on position do not start engine,wait about 10 seconds the start the engine if everything is ok with no stalling let it idle for about 5 minutes,then if everything is ok turn on the a/c let it idle for a couple of minutes, if everything is ok drive it around, is for some reason it stalls go back and re-clean TB it should work now....

#14 ·
Many of us would call that a "throttle valve."

The nice thing about a paper air cleaner element is that you just take a new one and "put it in" and it works perfectly every time. If your time is worth even minimum wage it's no more expensive either.

K&N is a very successful business, essentially just a marketing company, that have sold you something you don't need and cost them almost nothing to make.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.